Steps to reproduce
- Create new note
- Click into the text field
* (meaning: star and then space)
Expected: Bullet list item and cursor behind block
* * - meaning: bullet list item, cursor, and then a star.
Obsidian version: v1.4.16
Installer version: v1.4.16
Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 10.0.19045
Login status: not logged in
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: dark
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: on
The behavior is correct when using
- for starting a list.
Stars are commonly used for italicized text in markdown, hence why Obsidian doubles the star because it assumes you want to type something in italics (or even bold if you add another star)
- for unordered lists, for it’s actually much easier to type
* because it’s a key less to type since you take out the Shift from the equation and give that key a break
That being said, I doubt this will count as a bug…
If you turn off
Settings > Editor > Auto pair Markdown syntax, this won’t happen.
As woofy31 mentioned,
+ can be used for unordered lists, but
*s are used for other things as well.
This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.