Settings in Obsidian

Steps to reproduce

When I change settings they are not saved. Specifically I am trying to change the default location for new attachments. As soon as I change a setting and navigate to a different tab of setttings or close the settings window and re-open it, the settings have been reset.

I believe this issue began when I switched to the Windows 8 version of iCloud Drive from Windows 10 version (which came with its own set of issues, mainly that I could not create a local backup from my iCloud Drive). The Obsidian folder (and entire iCloud Drive) is read-only and when I change the permissions to disable this function it resets itself shortly after.

Expected result

Settings permanently changed, iCloud Drive to function with Obsidian as intended.

Actual result

Settings are not saved, iCloud drive resets its read-only status.

Environment

• Operating system: Windows 10
    iCloud Drive, Windows 8 version
  • Debug info:

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.1.9
Installer version: v1.1.9
Operating system: Windows 10 Home 10.0.19045
Login status: not logged in
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: dark
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
none

Additional information

Hi there, this is a known problem with iCloud and Windows. Moved to Help.

iCloud on Windows is known to cause file duplication and corruption issues. We highly suggest avoiding using this combination.

I suggest you move your vault out of iCloud. And then if you search inside YourVault/.obsidian folder, you’ll likely find duplicated settings files, which is why they aren’t being read correctly inside Obsidian. If you close Obsidian and delete the duplicates it should solve the problem.

Thanks for your reply. Moving the folder out of iCloud seemed to solve the issue on its own. What would the setting files be named, I cannot seem to find any obvious duplicates.

I would prefer to use iCloud on Windows as I have a mixed set-up and its the only free option available to me, but I would also like to avoid rolling the dice on any corruption risks.

Oh, well there might not be duplicates. All I know is it’s known to be problematic. Sorry about that.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.