Set custom vault name

i have so many vaults (many projects documentation folders and hugo/nextJS websites) that have the same folder title : docs and it’s not so easy to understand in which vault i am, since i have many open at the same time.

it would be really useful if we could set a custom vault title, that get rendered in the top window bar and in the open vault selector

what do you think?
it could be saved inside the .obsidian config. nothing special…

thank you!

1 Like

I would be very interested in this feature as well. It’s very common for me to place a “Notes” folder inside a project folder to keep track of ideas, research, links and more. As the OP said, a “Docs” folder is pretty common for me too.

It would be great if the name of the vault weren’t tied to the name of the folder. In fact, IMHO, renaming a vault from the open vault screen shouldn’t rename the folder unless the user explicitly asks for that with either a checkbox ( Also rename folder?) or a similar dialog. To me, it feels like touching the parent folder is Obsidian acting outside the scope of the vault.

Just my 2 cents. Love Obsidian overall of course! Keep up the great work!

Thanks!

Try this CSS snippet:

It makes the root folder / vault name hidden, and then adds an element :before where you can put any custom name, and style it differently, if you wish. (my example: text-align and size.)

.tree-item-self[data-path="/"] {
    visibility: hidden;
}
.tree-item-self[data-path="/"]:before {
    visibility: visible;
    text-align:left;
    font-size: 16px;
    content: "Custom Project Title";
}

screenshot_2024-02-03_10-19-13