Self hosted Docker instance

Would it be possible to deploy Obsidian inside a docker which could then be self-hosted behind a reverse proxy or accessed through a VPN? All files would then also remain self-hosted on an individual’s own infra.

13 Likes

Hope Obsidian will support own server to store files

2 Likes

Files by default are hosted locally. Local could be a PC hard drive, Dropbox, Google Drive, or a Docker instance in the cloud. Unless there’s some technical reason you can’t get Obsidian to run in Docker.

I’m more than willing to give this a go, but an official docker release along the lines of VScode would streamline the process of multiple interested parties each rolling thier own interpretation of the container.

The publish functionality goes some way to achieving what I am after. That said using the Obsidian model the data no longer resides on my infra, and I’m not sure you can edit in the published webpage.

HAs anyone managed to roll a Containerised version of Obsidian and host it locally?

+1 to this.

I have an unraid server I’m using to backup everything and being able to run an Obsidian docker container would be great.

I created an account just to upvote this. Docker container release is a must in today’s world.

I haven’t tried it myself, but I found this that might help you:

I created a docker container to run obsidian in the browser. Allows you to run it on a headless machine and access remotely to sync and backup as needed. Will add support for the obsidian API plugin at some point so the ports are exposed for local access.

docker run -d -v D:/vaults:/vaults -p 8080:8080 --name obsidian-remote ghcr.io/sytone/obsidian-remote:latest

Use http://localhost:8080/ to access, or the remote machine name if you are running docker remotely.

Feel free to comment or request updates
GitHub - sytone/obsidian-remote: Run Obsidian.md in a browser via a docker container.

4 Likes

ok, one issue was that configuration was not stored. Updated the command line. This means the same vault will open if you restart/recreate the container.

docker run -d \
  -v D:/ob/vaults:/vaults \
  -v D:/ob/config:/config/.config/obsidian \
  -p 8080:8080 \
  --name obsidian-remote \
  ghcr.io/sytone/obsidian-remote:latest
4 Likes

It works flawlessly.

Thanks!!

Awesome, but just wondering, which will be the power of create a containerised version of Obsidian? Just to take some ideas, how your workflows will improve or which use cases will get the most of this?

Created my acc here to post it. Would be awesome, although I don’t really care much about docker, being able to host it with node.js would be enough for my use case.

If you use the obsidian API plugin you can get programmatic access to your vault to do any sort of magic you want. I also use it as a RO version for access and to top it off have the vault directory backed up with the rest of the documents for the family.

Backups are always handy :smiley:

As a note I fixed some issues and updated the documentation a bit more so update the container if you are running it.

1 Like

Hi, I really appreciate your effort and the fact you share it with all of us :slight_smile:

I am still new to this (docker, programming, linux and all) so I have this question:
When obsidian launchs an update, do it automatic updates the docker version or you have to manually do so?

When it restarts it will automatically update in the docker container. Ill update every once in a while but the docker container version is not related to the Obsidian version and Obsidian can update all by itself.

1 Like

I don’t know enough to use this for what I really would like to have:
obsidian:
* pdf text book with annotation, links to other md notes
* open associated jupyter notebooks
all in browser windows.

What would be really awsesone would be the ability to run obsidian
within a jupyter tab: I tried using a jupyter terminal to launch obsidian,
but it unfortunately opens a separate window.

Any pointers?

Hi, I might be missing something but this does not seem to be working as intended, maybe you can help? I’m deploying to a docker engine running on my Synology. It seems to start ok, and then I open a browser window and I see “Obsidian v0.13.31” in the title bar, but the window is empty except for a dot on the left side, which opens up to some tools. No obsidian in the main window. Not sure how to troubleshoot, any pointers appreciated.

That is a quite old version of Obsidian! Current stable is 0.14.15 and I believe I have read here in the forums that an installer update was necessary around the increase to 0.14. Not sure that will solve the problem, but one can hope!

That is a quite old version of Obsidian!

Yes it is, I guess the docker image hasn’t been updated in a while. Feels like a more fundamental problem though. Thanks for the input, will update here if I get it working.

2 Likes