Second Brain Vault template + CLI

Introduction to Second Brain Tools

Hello everyone!

I’d like to introduce a new project that I’ve been working on called Second Brain Tools. It’s an open-source project hosted on GitHub at Second-Brain-Tools.

Second Brain Tools is a set of tools and resources that help you organize and manage your knowledge and ideas. It’s inspired by the concept of a “second brain,” which refers to the idea of using external tools and systems to capture and organize your thoughts and ideas, so you can focus on using your own brain for creative and analytical tasks.

Features

The project includes a variety of tools and resources, including:

• A bookmark manager that helps you organize and categorize your web bookmarks
  • A note-taking tool that lets you capture and organize your notes, ideas, and to-do lists
  • A personal wiki that helps you create a centralized knowledge base of your ideas and information
  • And more!

Installation

To use Second Brain Tools, you’ll need to install it using pip:

pip install second-brain-tools

Contributing

I’m excited to share this project with the community and I welcome feedback, contributions, and ideas for new features and improvements. If you’re interested in collaborating or contributing, please don’t hesitate to reach out or submit a pull request on GitHub.

Thanks for checking out Second Brain Tools!

Disclaimer

Please note that Second Brain Tools is still in a very early phase of development and started as a high school project and is currently at version 0.0.3. It may contain bugs and there may be significant changes to the codebase in the future as planning to support it in the long term. We welcome feedback and contributions to help improve the project, Thank you for your understanding.

Requirement

Currently, the Second Brain tools provide support for using a specific repository (the “Second-Brain” vault on GitHub) as a starting point, as well as the option to customize the experience by using a different vault of the user’s choice by modifying the config directories. This allows users to use either the provided vault or a custom one.

Output

2022-12-26_1364x750_002

Suggestion for obsidian team

As a suggestion, I think it would be helpful to consider adding a “Load Starter Template” button to the launch screen of the Obsidian. This button could function similarly to the “Plugins” and “Themes” buttons, allowing users to browse and select from a list of starter vaults hosted on GitHub. By fetching the selected vault and storing it in a designated location, this feature would provide a convenient way for new users to get started with the Second Brain tools, especially if they are feeling intimidated by the blank file explorer at first.

There are several potential benefits to adding this feature. For one, it would allow creators to share their own templates with the community, encouraging collaboration and innovation. Additionally, implementing a unified approach to starter vaults through this feature could facilitate the development of a CLI (command-line interface) module for automating various tasks.

Overall, I think adding a “Load Starter Template” button could provide valuable support for new users of the Obsidian and potentially facilitate the development of Second Brain tool’s additional features in the future. It might be worth considering as a potential enhancement to the software.

I don’t get it.
Can you describe the usecase for this Second Brain Tools together with Obsidian in 1-2 sentences?

Use CLI to create notes, view notes, delete notes.

Use it as a module to programmatically generate notes by using it as a library for python.

I am planning to integrate the obsidian API, but for now I am focusing on implementing support for Markdown in the obsidian vault. This will allow for basic note-taking functionality and will be compatible with the way obsidian handles Markdown formatting.

Using Markdown will allow for all basic note-taking functionality and in the future, an API integration will enable the capture of notes directly from mobile devices on a local network.

Although the project currently lacks documentation, the commit history on GitHub demonstrates my dedication to its development and support. I am actively seeking collaborators to join me in this effort, as I have been working on it for several hours each day.