Searching for a PDF, text file, HTML, etc

Things I have tried

1. Searched forum
  2. Searched for various plug-ins to help
  3. Searched files like PDF, txt and other types do not show up and search results, only markdown.

What I’m trying to do

I would simply like to search through the tons of PDFs, txt files, and HTML files I just loaded into Obsidian from various other apps so I can just work out of Obsidian mainly. I’m not asking to search inside these files, just wanting them to show up when I search for the title.

In options, do you have ‘Files & Links’ > ‘Detect all file extensions’ enabled?

I could be wrong that this is the setting, but I can definitely type a pdf via ctrl+o and find it.

Yes, I do have that enabled. And I don’t have any folders excluded.

Thank you.

What about Settings > Quick Switcher (under core plugins) > Show existing only. Do you have that disabled?

I have Quick Switcher disabled all together since don’t have an external keyboard on my iPad.

I did, however, enable the plugin just to see if it made any difference but it didn’t

Thank you for your help.

I can confirm the problem with PDF and HTML files on my iPad. Text files appeared in my search.

Curiously, searching file:.pdf will list PDFs. But if you combine that with a term found in the name of an existing PDF, you get nothing. You also get nothing if you use a regex in the file operator, like file:/.*term.*/.pdf.

The inconsistency makes me think it might be a bug. Also, PDFs appear in link autocomplete suggestions (which you could use as a workaround for now).

1 Like

Yes, I see what you mean. I get the same, except that I can’t pull up txt files either. Thank you for confirming.

Oh, I fooled myself about the text files. I forgot: I when I renamed my old text notes to work with Obsidian I added the .md after the .txt instead of replacing it so I could recognize old files that might need attention. So the .txt file I saw is actually a .txt.md file with Obsidian hiding the .md as usual.

1 Like

I know what you mean. I’ve done the same thing before. Lol.

file: foo .txt
This will search foo in the file name AND .txt in file contents

file:foo file: txt
or
file: (foo .txt)
This will search in the file name.

You can activate the help (button with a question mark above the search input) to get an explanation.

4 Likes

Thank you. Your message prompted me to toggle the “Aa” in the search tab and I am now able to find all my files: txt, pdf, and even webarchive files.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.