Search tags/path in search pane with autocomplete disappears immediately after typing

My problem is that in the “search option” / “tag: search for tags” appears a pane with existing tags but I am not able to select one with autocomplete, because it disappears when I begin writing. Only the result comes up when the complete word is written in which has a search result.
Without autocomplete, it is hard to search effectively.
Thanks
Füles

21 Likes

I don’t undestand post a screen recording

Hi,
When I search by tags in the search panel all the tags appear.
But when I begin to write the tags I looking for all the tags disappear, so I am
not able to choose from them by autocomplete but I have to write the whole word to get the result. The autocomplete could help us to find the right tags we are looking for.

Füles

2 Likes

thanks

I agree
It would be even better to have a separate tag search window in the tags column
And the search for the tag was incomplete and there was no need to write the whole tag correctly

And the folder capability for tags was great

Hi WhiteNoise,

Could you pls say something about the search tags matter?
Do you think you are going to deal with it?
Füles

Eventually, we will deal with it.

1 Like

Thanks.
Füles

+1
Tag autocomplete is one of my most used features in Edit mode. Having it available in Search would be great.

3 Likes

+1, i think this used to work and is very important for finding a tag to search if you have lots of subtags

2 Likes

+1 Very important feature

2 Likes

Should be merged resp. considered together with Show auto-completion of tags in graph filtering field.

3 Likes

+1 desired function

1 Like

More complete Bug Report of the issue.

Steps to reproduce

Go to search for a tag by using Magnifying Glass>“tag:” and start to type the tag you’re looking for.

Expected result

When I’ve just entered “tag:” I get a nice drop down list of tags I have and I would expect that once I start typing the first letters of a tag that the dropdown list would get whittled down to match whatever I’m typing – in the same way that it does when you go to create a tag in a document using the “#” syntax.

Actual result

When I’ve just entered “tag:” I get a nice drop down list of tags I have, but as soon as I start typing that nice drop down list of results goes away and I don’t see any search results at all until I’ve typed a 100% match.

Environment

• Operating system: Windows 10

• Debug info:
    SYSTEM INFO:
    Obsidian version: v0.14.6
    Installer version: v0.14.6
    Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 10.0.19044
    Login status: not logged in
    Insider build toggle: off
    Live preview: on
    Legacy editor: on
    Base theme: dark
    Community theme: none
    Snippets enabled: 0
    Safe mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
none

Additional information

I’ve created a subreddit thread here about it: https://www.reddit.com/r/ObsidianMD/comments/uxgbvd/tag_search_as_you_type/

Last item I’ll add is that when this is fixed, it’d be nice to see it recognize the tag whether you start typing with a “#” or not. E.g – start typing with “tag:this_is_a_tes” or “tag:#this_is_a_tes

1 Like

I think what you are asking for is similar to the following new feature request:

This particular report has been in since Feb '21. It’s been acknowledged and seemed to be the closest thing to my observation.

The feature is essentially there already as can be seen when one goes to search and types “tag:”, this shows the autocomplete suggestions. The issue is when you type the first character after “tag:” like an “e” for example all the results go away and don’t come back until you’ve fully typed out the whole tag completely.

1 Like

Autocomplete search in general is one of the most beneficial features at all.
It would be very important in tag search box and also in Yaml when fill out tags (wo #).
I always have to use the # sign to check existence or find existing tags, then delete back the #. Frustrating when there is a very, very great program with some little ‘bugs’.
Thanks
Füles

3 Likes

Hello, I wonder if this feature has been implemented? I need this heavily, thanks.

3 Likes

I also have same complain. Without Autocompletion of tags, it is hard to guess the exact tag name. Please resolve this issue :pray:

3 Likes