Search returns zero results on MacOS but not iOS

I am working with the same vault on both MacOS 12.6 (Obsidian 0.15.9) and iOS 16.0 (Obsidian 1.3.2). I use Obsidian Sync to keep them, well, synced.

On iOS, when I search for a term, I get results as expected. E.g., (and just using a very basic example here), searching for the word “of” predictably returns lots of results.

On MacOS searching for any term (even something as basic as “of”) results in a brief flash of the text “No results” and then nothing else.

This is a relatively new behavior (within the last couple of weeks) but I am unsure if it’s related to an update or not. Sync appears to be working correctly, so all the same docs are available to both the MacOS and iOS versions.

I’ve attempted searches on MacOS with dozens of terms which I know appear repeatedly throughout my docs, but the result is always the same, whether I search a single word, several words, or a quoted phrase. Clicking on the “explain search term” button shows what you would expect. E.g., a search for “of” returns: Matches text “of”.

I am unsure if this is a bug or something I am misunderstanding and would be grateful for some help!

An additional example of this behavior: if I click on a tag from my tag panel, I also get no results in the search panel. E.g., I have 17 docs tagged with “work” according to the tag panel, but searching “tag:#work” returns nothing.

Share your “Show debug info” please

Also, if you could, post a screenshot of your search window when it’s failing.

Debug info:

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v0.15.9
Installer version: v0.15.9
Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 21.6.0: Mon Aug 22 20:17:10 PDT 2022; root:xnu-8020.140.49~2/RELEASE_X86_64 21.6.0
Login status: logged in
Catalyst license: none
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: adapt to system
Community theme: Solarized
Snippets enabled: 1
Restricted mode: on

And very unsatisfying screenshot here, because it just shows nothing (I do see a v quick flash of “No matches found” but it disappears before I can catch it.)

Have you tested turning off the theme and the CSS snippet? One at a time if you’re feeling particularly scientific.

I had not, since it seemed like it wasn’t a cosmetic problem (the “no matches found” text flashing suggests it’s not merely an issue with the results being hidden; plus I haven’t fussed with that stuff in ages and this is a new behavior). But I just tried it to be thorough and it does not change anything. Tried turning them off one at a time, and then both, and I get the exact same behavior.

Sorry to be a hassle, but after turning them off, did you restart Obsidian? I know it doesn’t feel cosmetic, but you never know.

But yeah if it’s flashing like that, maybe there is something messed up in a cache file or something, somewhere in your settings. I’m sorry I don’t have any good suggestions.

Restarting has no effect.

By “somewhere in your settings,” do you mean Obsidian’s settings? Or something else.

Yeah the Obsidian settings files in:

YourVault/.obsidian

And the app settings:

~/Library/Application Support/obsidian

This is kind of a last-ditch effort, but you can attempt to delete that Application Support/obsidian folder (back it up first, so the test can be temporary). When you reopen the app, the folder gets recreated fresh. You might have to reopen your vaults. But your vault settings should remain intact.

Also sometimes if you use a syncing tool, if you look in the YourVault/.obsidian folder, you might notice some file conflicts. That can cause issues. Deleting the conflicted files helps some issues occasionally. (Not claiming this has anything to do with your issue. It’s just things to look for and try.)

1 Like

Aha! Nuking the application support folder and rebuilding has fixed the search behavior! Marking this as resolved. Thanks for your help!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.