Search Results Not Returned

Steps to reproduce

  1. Type various terms known to exist into the search box.
  2. Toggle the match case function for good measure.

Expected result

A list of results should be displayed beneath the search text input.

Actual result

No results were returned for any terms. No errors were observed in the console.


  • Operating system: macOS v12.3.1
  • Debug info:
	Obsidian version: v0.14.6
	Installer version: v0.14.6
	Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 21.4.0: Fri Mar 18 00:47:26 PDT 2022; root:xnu-8020.101.4~15/RELEASE_ARM64_T8101 21.4.0
	Login status: not logged in
	Insider build toggle: off
	Live preview: on
	Legacy editor: off
	Base theme: light
	Community theme: none
	Snippets enabled: 1
	Safe mode: on

	Custom theme: for cosmetic issues, please first try updating your theme to latest. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the help vault or disable community theme and snippets.

Additional information

Attempted mitigations:

  • Disabled all 3rd-party plugins
  • Toggled Core Search plugin on and off
  • Disabled all other core plugins
  • Cleared site data in the Application developer tools
  • Reinstalled Obsidian v0.14.6
  • Restarted the entire computer on a lark, because sure, why not?
  • Thank you!

Creating a new vault and adding a single file works as expected in new vault.

Does it happen in the sandbox vault?

Where is this vault stored?

The vault is stored in an iCloud folder. I haven’t worked with the Sandbox vault, will need a moment to look into it, but the search feature does work in a fresh vault.

I also tried removing all contents of the broken vault and adding a single file to mimic the fresh vault, and the search still doesn’t work in damaged vault.

After moving DamagedVault/AllTheFiles to NewVault/AllTheFiles, search feature works. This is an okay workaround on my end, but likely not a satisfactory answer as to how my instance got into this state for you all. I have some time and can keep poking at it if you’re interested.

Sandbox seems to work fine.

I think it’s something in the .obsidian directory, because copying DamagedVault/.obsidian to NewVault/.obsidian causes the search to fail in NewVault.

Ok, can you zip that and send it to us( a link to the zip is fine)


User error. While going through the .obsidian folder to scrub personal information, I noticed I had this gem of a regex in userIgnoreFilters: /~*/, which basically says, “Please ignore anything starting with 0 or more ~ characters,” so, everything. Somehow that regex had been sitting around harmlessly for weeks or even months. I’m guessing maybe you fixed something in how the ignore filters work and it was kablam for me! Thanks for your attention.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.