Search results contain only the content of the notes?

When I search for a keyword in Obsidian, do I only get notes with that keyword in the note content, but not notes with that keyword in the note name?

My language is Chinese.

1 Like

In 0.8 we added filename search.

Thanks for you reply. The am using the v0.8.0 of Obsidian, however, I still can not search the filename.

When I want to search a file named ā€˜ē¬”č®°ęØ”ęæā€™,

but I can not obtain the file in the search list.

Please checkout the docs and the changelog.

I have to say that needing to use ā€œfile:ā€ to search filenames is not usefulā€¦

I donā€™t keep track of what the filenames are - Iā€™m simply doing a search that will hopefully find the term wherever applicable.

I can see how using ā€œfile:ā€ would be good to ONLY search in filenames, but I canā€™t think of any use case for not wanting to include them in a general search. This is how any search in existence works - be it Windows or any search utility. By default (if contents are indexed) it will include contents and filenames in the search, but you flag the filename if thatā€™s all you want to look for.

Can some sort of amendment be made to reflect this?

1 Like

On further thought, in addition to the ā€œfile:ā€ operator, I think a ā€œcontent:ā€ operator would be useful as well - allowing you to specify which type of search you want to do. But the default does both.

Here is a screenshot from OneNote - it separates Title Results from Content Results. This might be a particularly good solution to this problem. I have a couple thousand notes that Iā€™ve imported from Onenote and not having this makes it extremely hard to tidy them up and use.

@nixsee This is not a bug per se but a feature request. So search\open in feature request.

Indeed, just discovered this frustrating behavior and completely agree with you on this. Whatā€™s the benefit of omitting filenames from search results when I (and guess many other people) intentionally try my best to give my notes very meaningful names?

I suggest this behavior to be changed to previous behavior or be re-enabled either by default or via settings.

@zhixiangcai, would you move this thread to Bug Reports or to Feature Requests please?

Hi,

You can use the syntax to search:

file: notename

This post is now in the graveyard. I already created a Feature Request here for filenames in search results by default