Search produces thousands of duplicate results

Once you’ve done the above, delete everything above this line.

Steps to reproduce

Open the vault.
Click the search icon.
Type in “passkey” . I should get about 10 hits in 2 notes.
After a wait of many seconds, results begin to appear. The results list the same file with 5 hits, again and again and again, finally listing 2,146 results.

Did you follow the troubleshooting guide? [Y/N]

Y

Y

Expected result

two notes found, a few hits per note.

Actual result

See above. The same note listed thousands of times.

Environment

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.5.12
Installer version: v1.5.12
Operating system: Windows 10 Home 10.0.22631
Login status: logged in
Catalyst license: none
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Base theme: adapt to system
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
none

Additional information

“debug info” mis-identifies my OS. It is Windows 11 home.
I have a few hundred notes that were imported from evernote.

I’m using Obsidian Sync.
My local vault is off the root, instead of under Documents, to avoid OneDrive mirroring.

Shoulda known - as soon as I post I figure it out. Somewhat.

In the process of setting up Sync, I corrupted my vault.

I had a non-syncing vault c:\obsidian\MainVault
I added Sync.
I tried to configure Sync to use that existing vault as the local one. But in my confusion about several matters, I ended up with
c:\obsidian\MainVault\MainRemote
Which apparently introduced a recursion problem so now I have endless MainRemote

C:\Obsidian\MainVault\MainRemote\MainRemote\MainRemote\MainRemote\ etc.

I suppose that I reached a sync size limit or I would have filled up the internet by now.

Now I’m not sure how I’ll repair things but I’ll work on it. At worst, I can make my own backup, nuke everything, and start over. Suggestions appreciated.

I think I’m ok now. I had two local vaults (overlapping) that synced with the same remote vault.

I disconnected all syncs, closed Ob, renamed my c:\obsidian folder, and started over with “open vault from sync”.

That recreated my local vault. Then I deleted the nested folder(s).

THere may be something to be learned here, from a usability perspective. If anybody’s interested, I could give more details about how and why I made this mistake, and maybe offer doc/ui suggestions that may help future newbies like me.

I’m still having a problem - still need help.

From my previous messages you’ll see that recreated a local vault from a synced vault.

Unfortunately, that local vault still has the recursion problem: a folder named “MainRemote” inside the vault, which contains everything recursively, blah blah.

I’ve tried deleting the uppermost “MainRemote” folder but it reappears, gradually repeating recursively until some max is reached.

How do I get rid of this recursion that is apparently present in my remote vault, and can’t be deleted?

I’ve resolved (worked around) my problem by excluding my problem folder from sync.

You could also set up a new remote vault from scratch. You will lose the version history online, but the remote vault will have a defined status.

Before you upload your local files, clean up your local vault with external tools.

This solved many problems I had with my vault, after some syncing went wrong.

I conceptualize the remote vault as an intermediary copy, And the local folder on my Mac as the original.