Search headings when referencing notes

It would be useful if the headings are included into autosuggested values in [[...]]].

For example, I am trying to refer to a particular idea summarized by a heading within the same note, currently the autocomplete suggestions do not include the desired headings:

This, combined with the ability to update references to a note’s heading, would be powerful, enough so that I can adjust my habit to avoid needing Block References.

Clarification

I mean when I type something in [[...]] , I want headings matching that are also included in autosuggested values. Currently, only the titles of the notes are included.
I can reference a heading given the title, but I am asking for relevant headings without knowing a note’s title, since the title may summarize a broader context than a specific heading that I want to refer to.

2 Likes

That feature already exists. When you start the link to a note with [[ Obs will present a list of notes, incl. the one you’re after. Rather than clicking on the relevant note, hover over it, then click #, which will present you with a list of hash headers in the note. Click on the relevant header. Done. Your link will be [[note name|#header name]].

I think I haven’t made my request clear.

I mean when I type something in [[...]], I want headings matching that are also included in autosuggested values. Currently, only the titles of the notes are included.
I can reference a heading given the title, but I am asking for relevant headings without knowing a note’s title, since the title may summarize a broader context than a specific heading that I want to refer to.

Well, if your request was clear I would not have replied the way I did. Nevertheles, I apologise for wasting your time, it won’t happen again, I hope.

1 Like

Thank you. I have updated the request with a clarification.

1 Like