Search function and case sensitivity

I searched in the help section but didn’t find an answer to my question.

What I’m trying to do

Hello,

I would like to be able to find a word/text with the search function, also if I use lowercase instead of uppercase letters (or the other way around).

Possible scenario: I remember that I once wrote about Stonehenge in some of my notes. But i can’t remember in which. So I type Stonenenge into my searchbar/global search to see where the word was mentioned. But I don’t get any results, because in the note it was not written with a capital S but with a small s, that is stonehenge instead of Stonehenge. I would only get a result when I search for stonehenge. Same thing the other way around - when a word is written with small letters only but i search with capital letters, I also don’t get any results. Also I would like to perform just one search to find all the mentions of stonehenge and Stonehenge. Of course, I could just leave out the first letter and just search for tonehenge, but thats not a satisfying solution.

Short version: when I perform a global search for “stonehenge”, I would like to get “Stonehenge” and “STONEHENGE” to be listed in my results as well, not only “stonehenge”.

Any hint is appreciated.

2 Likes

Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 3.21.07 PM

I think what you’re looking for is the “Aa” toggle at the top of the search area. Click on it to cycle between requiring the Cap and not

3 Likes

From the Obsidian help page on Searches you can type ignore-case(stonehenge) to make it not case-sensitive. This is an alternative to the “Aa” button @Viktor_Sirin mentioned.

2 Likes

Thank you very much, question answered!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.