Search doesn't work for Vault in iCloud folder

I have an Obsidian Vault in my iCloud Drive. All plug-ins are disabled. Search returns No Results, regardless of how I search (file, tag, etc.). I created a new Vault on my local drive, and moved my files there. Search works perfectly.

Steps to reproduce

Click in search bar or press Command+Shift+F and Type something I know exists. For example, for files beginning with “DJ”, I type > file:DJ
For Tag #Daily, I type > tag: and it auto-populates with #Daily

Expected result

I expected to see a list of the 3 files that begin with “DJ”

Actual result

System displays “No Match Found”


  • Operating system: MacOS 12.5
  • Debug info:
    Obsidian version: v1.1.9
    Installer version: v1.1.9
    Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 21.6.0: Sat Jun 18 17:07:22 PDT 2022; root:xnu-8020.140.41~1/RELEASE_ARM64_T6000 21.6.0
    Login status: not logged in
    Insider build toggle: off
    Live preview: off
    Legacy editor: off
    Base theme: dark
    Community theme: Minimal v6.1.17
    Snippets enabled: 4
    Restricted mode: off
    Plugins installed: 3
    Plugins enabled: 0

Custom theme and snippets: for cosmetic issues, please first try updating your theme and disabling your snippets. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the Sandbox Vault or disable community theme and snippets.

Additional information

I am attaching 3 screenshots.


Thank you!

Do you have System Settings > General > Storage > Store in iCloud > Desktop and Documents turned on and your vault stored in your Documents folder (or on your Desktop)? That setting can make it so some “files” are only placeholder documents to cloud files, which can confuse Obsidian.

Also, did you restart Obsidian after disabling all plugins? You need to do that to make sure all the stuff from plug-ins that were active is unloaded.

Hi: Thank you for your questions.

I do not use Store in iCloud > Desktop and Documents. Instead, I put the Vault into the iCloud Drive directly. And yes, I did restart Obsidian multiple times, including after I disabled all of the plugins.

UPDATE: I also conducted an experiment.

When I copied the Obsidian Vault from my iCloud Drive to my local drive, and opened that Vault instance, search continued to NOT work.

Only when I rebuild the vault from scratch does search work. So it looks like there may be something just “wrong” with the original vault I created.

I have now completely rebuilt the vault with the same settings as the iCloud version, and search continues to work.

Sorry, I think I got confused and meant to ask about “Optimize Storage” in the same settings area, not the Documents and Desktop one, because the “Optimize” description mentioned media files specifically.

If that’s not the problem, maybe the index is corrupted. Try moving the working local version you made into iCloud.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.