Screen tearing in the new PDF viewer on Obsidian iPad (Mobile)

I just installed the latest Obsidian Update(1.4.5) for my iPad that comes with a pdf viewer. The pdf viewer looks great until you start panning and zooming the pages. I loaded a pretty basic 10 page pdf (full text research article).

Steps to reproduce

1. Open an embedded pdf on Obsidian Mobile.
  2. Zoom in/out of the pdf.

Expected result

• A smooth pdf panning experience without screen tearing while zooming in or out.
  • Pdf should render no matter how much you zoom in, with a limit ofcourse.

Actual result

1. There is a lot of screen tearing when zooming in and out of the pdf, even more after changing to two page view. The screen settles down i.e. the tearing corrects itself once you release the finger from the screen and stop zooming in or out.

2. Upon zooming in beyond a certain point, the whole pdf stops rendering.

3. Sometimes it shows black bars or spaces randomly. (I had to use a theme for this because otherwise the black wouldn’t appear.)

4. The pdf viewer is very jittery to use. Panning the pdf page isn’t very smooth.

Environment

SYSTEM INFO:
Operating system: ios 16.2 (Apple iPad)
Obsidian version: 1.4.5 (104)
API version: v1.3.3
Login status: logged in
Catalyst license: none
Live preview: off
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: dark
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 5
Restricted mode: on

I have switched off all 3 css snippets. I don’t know why it still says I have 5 enabled in the Debug info I copied.

Additional Info

I’m using a pretty new vault so there aren’t many notes. I use the minimal theme along with 3 css snippets and around 15 plugins. For the sake of troubleshooting, I switched to the default theme, switched on restricted mode and turned off all css snippets and restarted Obsidian. Yet the problem exists.

Off topic:
The pdf background takes up the theme background pretty well btw.

Does it happen in a new vault (no plugins no themes)? Close and restart obsidian.

Yes the problem persists.

Environment of the new vault

SYSTEM INFO:
Operating system: ios 16.2 (Apple iPad)
Obsidian version: 1.4.5 (104)
API version: v1.3.3
Login status: logged in
Catalyst license: none
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: dark
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: off
Plugins installed: 0
Plugins enabled: 0

thanks we can repro

2 Likes

Same issue for me!

will be fixed 1.4.6

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.