Saved Searches in Graph View

I would like to have more advanced search in graph view and the ability to save those searches.

Use case or problem

I am trying to use Obsidian for all of my notes. Not all of these notes are relevant to each other and many such as daily notes track my daily activity so appear to be hubs linking ideas in graph view. I don’t want certain tags and folders included in certain types of search.

I’m also interested in looking for the isolated / orphan notes related to certain ideas so I can tie them together.

While I can save a search with the starred plugin, this does not come through to graphs. I’d like some advanced saved options in graph that I can come back to and then modify each time. I.e. non-academic concept notes who are orphans. Or academic concept notes with more than three connections. Similarly I may want to see what I did on a week so want to be able to see everything that was linked in that time and how they relate to each other.

As my list of excluded folders and tags is quite large, then its a pain to set this up each time.

Proposed solution

be able to save a search request and be able to open that from the search files dialogue. Alternately this could be achieved by creating the colour coded groups and being able to have a filter option that says to include or reject certain groups from view.

Current workaround (optional)

Currently saving conditions elsewhere and coming back and copying in; I’ve mostly moved my searches to the dataview plugin so I can use an SQL like functionality for search, unfortunately, I can’t use it in graph view so am not using that at the moment; but that would be a separate request.

Related feature requests (optional)

5 Likes

I agree. The potential in this arena feels like it is definitely very strong. You gotta love the graph. I know I do.

Also, I really like your idea, but in case you were interested, I made a similar/relevant request a little while back, here: Convert graph filters/settings to query

Thanks.

I agree, it would be nice if you could combine the ideas. With yours you could combine that with the idea of an inline local graph and get both in one location. This would also suit my purposes.

1 Like