RTL Support

Plugin for adding RTL languages (Hebrew&Arabic) support, either by adding buttons for aligning the text (similar to what text editors have) or by setting a general document alignment.

When adding this CSS:

.view-header{
direction: rtl;
text-align: right;
}
.view-content{
text-align: right;
}

The preview looks perfect but the editor doesn’t:

25 Likes

This sounds super-useful! Looks like the issue here is codemirror. Can’t really be solved through CSS alone. Plugin is right.

4 Likes

As someone who takes notes in Hebrew, This is a must have feature for me. I would be glad to have this implemented.

8 Likes

For languages that are written from right to left, the existence of support for RTL is a must for functionality. A plug-in or an option that could let the user choose the direction of the text can be a lot of help. Ideally, the editor can detect the direction of the text automatically. twitter for example does it. Qownnotes also support this feature.
It could open up the app to be used for hundreds of millions of people who write in Arabic, Hebrew, Farsi and … .

6 Likes

thank you for the hack.

1 Like

נו, אז זה עובד או לא?

1 Like

I meet the RTL language first here. The plugin for it will be useful as I think.

1 Like

+1 For RTL (Hebrew) support!
Would especially appreciate support for adding Hebrew words inline (without messing the line) and having some lines in a file display LTR and others RLT, like in Microsoft Office and Google Docs.

7 Likes

+1 totally looking forward for some tool or plugin that support RTL in both editing and previewing views. this will cement using obsidian through all of my workflow without the need to other tools.

3 Likes

I’m not an insider. But can we use html tags that are implemented on 0.8.1 to temporarily fix this?

a kind of temporary solution: Ok so in version 0.8.0 I found that adding this code to obsidian.css can make your editor RTL:

.CodeMirror {
    	direction: RTL;
    }

not a perfect solution but works for now.

5 Likes

Hi I tried using Obsidian in Arabic (a right to left language) and things got glitchy since Obsidian is in left to right mode. I want to encourage my office to use it but they’ll want it in Arabic

Thank you

6 Likes
4 Likes

Please make this happen :pray:

4 Likes

From a coding-perspective, you change the direction of all characters which are rtl, by finding the unicode values of hebrew, arabic and persian characters.

To change the direction, you just add one line of css.

.character {
}
3 Likes

Hi All,
Thanks for this great software.
Any support for left to right langeuges coming soon?

Thanks,
Ron.

2 Likes

I would want this as well!
Especially support for writing RTL words inside LTR sentences and the opposite.

6 Likes

What do you mean by writing RTL words inside LTR sentences? If I guess correctly, it already supports it.

1 Like

I’d like to mention that usually people who write in RTL languages need a bidirectional environment as it’s common to have notes with paragraphs both in RTL/LTR. A common use case is taking notes on programming languages where the descriptions are in RTL while the code snippets are in English/LTR. A great implementation of bidirectional editor is Paper by dropbox where it can detect the first character of each paragraph and change the direction based on that.

9 Likes

I completely +1 this request, but with one important comment. Please don’t follow the mistake of some other apps (Zettlr, Mark Text), don’t make RTL a general app setting.
We who write RTL want some notes in English and some in Hebrew/Arabic/Farsi. We don’t want the entire app RTL – just some RTL notes. It has to be either auto-detected by paragraph (which is the common solution in most GUIs) or a per-note setting.

9 Likes