RSS Feed for Obsidian Publish

Is Obsidian planning to add, or does anyone know how to add, a “new pages”/“updates”/RSS feed to Publish sites so that visitors can see what’s new? (I don’t know much about RSS feeds)

42 Likes

I would like to second this request. RSS would really allow one to lean in to the labyrinthine/garden structure of an obsidian vault. Adding details incrementally over time, fractally enlarging the network from the inside out. RSS, or some equivalently ‘pushed’ system of notification/changelog would turn it from an excellent wiki-style site into a powerful communication tool. It would make this model of blogging/garden tending something that can viably be followed by others.

Also ties in to a recent discussion here: Really Simple Syndication (RSS) in digital gardens?

and here: Sharing linked thinking on the web: methods for helping readers follow along

This post really identifies the issue:

And one of OPs solution is:

15 Likes

There has been increased chatter about this feature lately. Personally I’d love a feed-type feature for Publish. I think there’s a difference between updating a bunch of notes mostly meant for yourself and writing something for an audience. So, in my dreams, a Publish feed would be somewhat different from a firehose list of all the updates in a vault—instead it would give Obsidian users a place to put that audience-focused writing.

So, if there was a way to tell Publish to post “notes in this folder” or “with this tag” or “with this YAML metadata key” in a feed, it would be fantastic.

11 Likes

Putting in my vote for this feature.

Would love to see RSS feeds for:

• Recently updated pages
  • New pages

Ideally there would also be a way to enable some metadata fields, e.g. author, cover image, etc.

12 Likes

This would be a big reason for me to start using Publish: the ability the have both a chronological and an achronological view of content in a published vault with a RSS feed for others to follow for new posts.

Like @ryanjamurphy, perhaps the solution would be to have the RSS feed show only certain notes which could be written as chronological posts.

3 Likes

I just wanted to add that I think that this a great idea. I would like any of the functionality but what I would like is a folder I could define or use that would have this record. Any of the methods would work for me in publish but I have friends asking me where to start reading my chaos in publish. Having a place to point them besides telling them to just “click here” would make my obsidian publish site more discoverable and readable I think. I hope this happens with any of the ways mentioned.

2 Likes

Agreed here. The RSS Feed community plugin is decent but a cleaner way to get these feeds automated in would be amazing.

1 Like

I’m willing to write and manually update a feed.xml file until there is an automated solution, but I don’t see a way to upload my test feed.xml file to Obsidian Publish.

3 Likes

I’d very much like for my publish vault to offer an rss feed. Best case would be producing one that includes any edits, and another one that includes only new public notes, with the latter being the most important of the two.

I’ve tried workarounds, like manually editing a “recent changes” note, but even services like rss.app have trouble parsing that note into an rss feed.

2 Likes

1000% this. If visitors to the site could see a “recently updated” tab, a “new” tab, and could sign up to be emailed each time there was a new addition to these feeds, I would pay significant amounts for Publish

Adding my upvote to this feature. I have been exploring the idea of writing a blog on Publish again recently and being able to add an RSS feed/newsletters would be ideal. Could become a Substack competitor if done well - or at least another solution to the demise of centralized social networks.

2 Likes

This is definitely going to be a killer feature for anyone who wants to grow their digital garden seedlings into published posts all within Obsidian and Obsidian Publish.

I couldn’t agree more! This would be super useful.

2 Likes

Note that Obsidian Publish does have an RSS feed at /rss.xml but it doesn’t have timestamps

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.