Roget's Thesaurus

Hi, all!

I really liked Roget’s Thesaurus, when it was working, that is… Unfortunately for at least two weeks now it doesn’t work.

Is it possible for me to download it somehow, so I can keep it and use it, because I am afraid something like that might happen in the future, and also there is no clear view on when it will be fixed, while I kinda need it for my studies.

Thank you in advance

1 Like

I don’t know what you are talking about. Moved to help.

Do you mean you want to save the Thesaurus in Obsidian?

If you’re on MacOS, the built-in dictionary includes a thesaurus.

If your system doesn’t include one you can probably find an app.

@WhiteNoise

They are referring to this: note - Roget's Thesaurus 3rd Edition - Obsidian Publish

3 Likes

I’m guessing that was built from an old public domain edition, so you could search for the name plus “public domain”. I think this might be the prior edition: Roget's Thesaurus by Peter Mark Roget - Free Ebook (it has an online version which doesn’t link all the words, but you could highlight, copy, Ctrl//CMD+F).

1 Like

Nice!

I imagine this is where they learned about the Roget’s Thesaurus Obsidian File:

Nick Milo was showing it off here. Looks like an incredible resource.

1 Like

For anyone following the topic, Roget’s Thesaurus is back up at the moment.

3 Likes

That is precisely what I am talking about. Is there any way to download its “Obisidian” version?

I do understand that, but it’s like tens of thousands of words, so I figured I could simply download it. Which will preserve the work nonetheless.

I asked Nick about getting access to the thesaurus vault once. He indicated it wasn’t possible to share for legal reasons. I am not a lawyer, I have no idea; his call. This isn’t really an obsidian question FWIW. If you really wanted it, wouldn’t be too hard to write a scraper for the markdown on an Obsidian publish site, but that seems like a legal grey area to me. I’d just be happy with the online version.

1 Like

Oh wow, it’s not an old public domain version as I’d assumed from the edition number — it’s the 3rd edition of Roget’s 21st Century Thesaurus. :flushed:

Right. IANAL, but I doubt the publish site is legal either.

I am interested in Roget’s Thesaurus as well. Javascript put a link up that went to the thesaurus. I would like to know how he did that?

does anyone have a working link for the Thesaurus? the link here does not work ):

1 Like

AAAAnd its down again… What’s up with that?

So, its down for two months already…

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.