Retaining original creation date of thousands of OneNote files exporting to Obsidian

Things I have tried

I have tried a lot! New user here. I visited this thread: Is it possible to change the creation date of a note?. I also visited another thread. I searched the forum. I have downloaded the script designed to export OneNote to Obsidian (along with powershell, Visual Studio Code) - but I can’t get it to work I keep getting this error:

Convert-OneNote2MarkDown: F:\ConvertOneNote2MarkDown-master\ConvertOneNote2MarkDown-v2.ps1:1423:5
Line |
1423 | Convert-OneNote2MarkDown @params
| ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component.

Convert-OneNote2MarkDown: F:\ConvertOneNote2MarkDown-master\ConvertOneNote2MarkDown-v2.ps1:1423:5
Line |
1423 | Convert-OneNote2MarkDown @params
| ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| at Get-OneNoteHierarchy, F:\ConvertOneNote2MarkDown-master\ConvertOneNote2MarkDown-v2.ps1: line 570 at Convert-OneNote2MarkDown,
| F:\ConvertOneNote2MarkDown-master\ConvertOneNote2MarkDown-v2.ps1: line 1362 at , F:\ConvertOneNote2MarkDown-master\ConvertOneNote2MarkDown-v2.ps1: line
| 1423 at , : line 1

I also downloaded OneBatch from OneNote Gem and exported notes to word documents and also txt files.

What I’m trying to do

I tried this the last few days but only get all documents coming out with 11/5/22 or 11/6/22.

The reason I want to do this is because I saw this amazing video about showing Obsidian notes in a timeline - this would allow me to see those notes from when they were written. I have a book I’ve been writing for 15 years - and to see notes by their creation date on a timeline would help me tremendously. It allows for much better insight to what could be where, and when. OneNote’s own search is so cumbersome compared to Obsidian - Obsidian is even better at search than X1. But without their actual dates, it’s tough. Great for starting from scratch, sure.

Maybe this is just impossible, but if you could help I would appreciate it. And if anyone know what I can do to fix that error above that would be great too.

:slight_smile: :sweat_smile: Obsidian is consuming all my time the last few days!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.