Replicating notes in the File Explorer

Things I have tried

What I’m trying to do

Hi. I’m new to Obsidian so hope I haven’t missed something. Is it possible to replicate (or create aliases of) notes in the File Explorer? This would allow the same note to be used in different contexts and to update everywhere when edited in any instance. This is possible in DevonThink, for example, but I can’t see a way of doing it in Obsidian. The only workaround seems to be via links to the note in other notes, which in some circumstances is clunky compared with the replication option. I’ve been through the help material but can find any reference to anything like this beyond creating varying aliases to other notes within notes.

An Obsidian vault is just a folder of Markdown (.md) files somewhere on your computer. You can store your vault anywhere on your computer and most certainly can use them in other places. You can create/move a vault wherever you want to access your notes in the File Explorer. Let me know if you have any questions! :smiley:

This link may also be helpful:
https://help.obsidian.md/How+to/Working+with+multiple+vaults

Hi Jonathan and thanks for the reply. Unfortunately this wasn’t what I was referring to. What I meant was the possibility of having exactly the same note appear in more than one place in the File Explorer and have it update everywhere when it is edited anywhere. Or, if you like, have the same note opened by more than one File Explorer entry. For example, suppose that in a research project the same note is relevant in two different areas of the project, and I want to be able to consult and edit it in either, rather than to have to hunt back for it or embed it via a link. In DEVONthink, for example, notes can be replicated in more than one place, and any editions are reproduced across all instances. In Obsidian, though, the only workaround seems to be to create a second note with the same name and then have a link in this back to the original, which is certainly feasible but clunky by comparison. An alternative, I guess, would be for to be able to create File Explorer headings which are in fact aliases referring back to the original note. Any guidance much appreciated.

Sorry for misunderstanding. Hopefully one of the @moderators can unmark what is currently the solution since your problem is not yet solved.

I think your only option would be creating a symlink. If you did this, each instance of the note would be updated if one of the other instances was changed. If you are not comfortable in the command line, I would advise against this since you could get yourself in a messy situation. There could be other ways to do this, but symlinks are the only way that I know how to achieve the result that you are looking for.

Thanks, Jonathan. Yes, I fear symlinks are a bit beyond me, though I’ll look into them. I don’t know how much demand there may be for a “replicated note” feature like this, but I’d suggest it is a possibility. Cheers.