Replacement for Notion Tables

I am really really enjoying Obsidian coming from Notion. But one thing I miss is the ability to create tables. The reason for this is that tables allowed for pages to have properties, that created an opportunity for some stricter organization (for instance, every movie I saw had its own page with a Rating)

In Obsidian, I have a few options. I can tag pages in a way that recreates the properties I had in notion. I can then put related pages in a folder or create a page that groups all the related pages into a list/table-like thing. (I even thought to go so far as creating .csv files in the root of folders that could store properties for the .md files inside)

I am trying to embrace a more loosely structured knowledge hive, but am not sure the best way to go about this. Right now, I am using folders to separate notes that have a somewhat specific type, and trying to see if I can get all the property like things I want from tags. So all my movie reviews go in a Movies folder, and each has a single rating tag like #good #great #amazing

What do you think of this? Am I just trying to do something that I shouldn’t in Obsidian? I have the vague impression that I rarely need to recall notes in a structured manner, so maybe I just need to relax and not think about putting them in a structured way (I probably did this more from OCD and it was easy to do in Notion). But deep down I am scared of a vault with just a root directory of tons and tons of tagged and linked files! Just kind of feels disorganized, even though I guess the structure is all there…

1 Like

When structure reduces friction, it’s good.
When it increases friction, it’s bad.
When your experience of friction changes, change your structures.
Obsidian can work any which way.

1 Like

I haven’t tried it, but I think you could create a table in Typora (easier for most people than typing it in markdown), copy the markdown to Obsidian and make that table into a template.
Of course that would just be a table whereas the Notion ones are something more.

I use tables generator for that. It can be embedded.

<iframe src="https://www.tablesgenerator.com/markdown_tables" style="position:absolute; top:0; left:0; width:100%; border:none;  height:100%;">
2 Likes