Render text in Outline pane instead of showing the raw markdown (reading mode rendering)

The title in outline view shows escape characters
(i.e. ) as well as formatting characters (e.g. asterisks)

Steps to reproduce

1. Create a new note
  2. In the note, create a markdown title whose content includes a #.
  3. Paste the following on the second line: #### *Hello* C\#
  4. The title in the outline view does not match the text of the title

Expected result

The title contents in the outline should match the title on the page

Actual result

Environment

• Operating system: Windows
  • Debug info:
    SYSTEM INFO:
    Obsidian version: v1.1.9
    Installer version: v1.0.3
    Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 10.0.22000
    Login status: not logged in
    Insider build toggle: off
    Live preview: on
    Legacy editor: off
    Base theme: dark
    Community theme: none
    Snippets enabled: 0
    Restricted mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
none

Additional information

Just to connect the dots, there is a feature request for this:

And a possible workaround:

Giving my +1 here as well. I used to only use actual bulleted-outlines, but have started adding headings in order to make use of the Outline panel/tool. It is annoying to see the markdown symbols in the list.

Edit: I now see the Quiet Outline recommendation - after a brief test, it seems to do what I want and more!

If using inner link as heading, then the square brackets are also shown in the outline. I think the square brackets should hidden in the outline.

Is that possible to remove the square brackets in outline when using inner link as heading?

Still very much interested in a native solution! The outline plugin mentioned by @anon63144152 works well but I think it would be great if we wouldn’t need a plugin for that!

1 Like

Agreed, it is such a basic thing. It is like the Search and Replace feature across all notes that we have to use a plug-in or something VS Code for. These features are no-brainers, and yet ……

Markdown formatting will be stripped beginning with v1.2.3, same goes for publish. Note that this is different from rendering it, so this feature request remains open.

4 Likes

What does that mean in practical terms? What will we notice, and how is it different from rendering?

## My **heading** with a [[wikilink]] and a [markdown link](example.com)

:point_down:

My heading with a wikilink and a markdown link

So, what is the objective of markdown stripping?

Partially address the complains this thread.

I use the Visually Numbered Headings plug-in, which is a very important one for me to navigate long notes.

Will I still be able to use it when markdown stripping is implemented?

I am not familiar with that plugin.

Fair enough.

I am on a Mac. In case v1.2.3 affects the plug-in negatively, is there a way to downgrade back to v1.2.2?

@WhiteNoise how can I downgrade if need be?

2 Likes

Thanks for jumping in, @obsequious . The page that you link to only lists the installer version, not the Insider versions.

1.2.3 is an Insider version, as is 1.2.2. So, if I would want/need to downgrade from 1.2.3 to 1.2.2, where could I find a copy?

Secondly, do you know where is the downgrade procedure is described? I seem to remember vaguely that it was mentioned once or twice in one of the Discord channels quite a long time ago but I did not pay any attention to it because I did not think I would ever need it :blush:

In Discord, “rollback insider” will trigger Carl to provide brief instructions. I recently posted an expanded version here: Downgrading version on mac - #3 by CawlinTeffid

1 Like

Many thanks for providing those instructions. I will bookmark the page. Thanks again! :pray:

A related issue is having LaTeX in headlines. I was about to raise this issue but then came across Render LaTeX in outline - #2 by robotsheepboy and this thread.