Remotely-sync vs self hosted live sync

Using a synology NAS for backup. Remotely sync is pretty easy to get setup with WebDAV, and seems to work ok but appears to have to sync and then access files on device.

What does self hosted live sync offer? Any reasons to choose one vs another?

I am trying to keep my synology as storage Device.

That’s true of any sync system for Obsidian. Obsidian needs local files.

Hi. I am vorotamoroz who made the Self-hosted LiveSync.

I am not sure if my answer will make sense (it might be too long again.), but let me explain why I made Self-hosted LiveSync.

Self-hosted LiveSync is aimed at synchronising vaults quickly or in real-time; which transfers only metadata and differences (we call them chunks).
This behaviour reduces the amount of transfer and storage usage. And while we keep old chunks and histories of metadata, we can efficiently view the old notes. Even if there are conflicting changes between devices, this allows them to be merged in a way that rationally takes into account each of the differences from the last synchronised revision, in automatic.

LiveSync replicates and synchronises; does not save or back up. This might be a big difference to others besides the official Sync.

In addition to that, we use the OSS database engine for the server, which lets us escape the audit liability of sources; to some extent.

There are more things, but overall, this allows us to synchronise between devices, even in a restricted environment like enterprise companies. Thus, I think that all synchronising plug-ins are complementary. I cannot thank the team enough for registering this plug-in as a Community Plugin.

This is why I have made and been maintaining this plug-in. (Of course, using).

Thank you very much for reading this! And, predictably so.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.