Redo broken on Mac

With Obsidian v1.0.3 on MacOS 12.6.1, using Redo from the Edit menu is broken.

Steps to reproduce

From Obsidian v1.0.3 on a mac, open the Sandbox vault, and type a new word to add it to the document.

Using Edit → Undo (or cmd-Z) undo your addition to the document.

Use Edit → Redo, and realize that it doesn’t work to reapply the addition.

(cmd-shift-Z does work, however)

Expected result

I would expect that Edit → Undo , followed by Edit → Redo would result in an unchanged document.

Actual result

Instead of an unchanged document, Undo appears to be destructive because the user’s request to Redo their changes is ignored.

If the user accidentally triggered an undo operation in an otherwise stable note, they may lose data and not know how to get it back.

Environment

• Operating system:
  • Debug info:

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.0.3
Installer version: v1.0.3
Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 21.6.0: Thu Sep 29 20:11:33 PDT 2022; root:xnu-8020.240.7~1/RELEASE_ARM64_T8110 21.6.0
Login status: logged in
Catalyst license: none
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: dark
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
none

3 Likes

thanks

I think this may also be the reason why “Command + Shift + Z” for redo on a Dvorak keyboard doesn’t work as well.

This is still a problem until today. I wonder is this a priority to fix as it can lead to catastrophic data loss

1 Like

Hi, I’m not saying this fix isn’t important.

But I just noticed you said you’re new to Obsidian. So if you don’t already know, there is a “File Recovery” plugin installed by default. It takes snapshots of your notes. I recommend turning the “Snapshot interval” low, and the “History length” fairly long. (I use 3 minutes and 600 days, personally. Some people use 1 minute intervals.)

So if a bug like this, or a plugin, or anything else causes you to lose some data, you have one more way to help protect you.

1 Like

Thank you for this!

Incredible community, I feel no matter how long i’ve been using obsidian, I’ll always have something to learn from the community

What I’m trying to do

Things I have tried

I have tried to redo changes using cmd+shift+z and it does not work

I have tried to redo changes with the file bar - clikcing redo and it does not work

I have tried to uninstall and reinstall obsedian ut this did not work

Redo is not working and I am loosing data as I work.
I appreciate any help!

It’s a known bug, so I’ll merge your thread there.

According to replies in this thread, cmd-shift-Z should still work, except possibly on some keyboard layouts. What keyboard layout or language region are you set to?

(I haven’t tested in Ventura yet, so that might also be a factor.)

I’m currently using the programmer Dvorak layout by Roland Kaufmann with the language region set to English (United States). Cmd-Shift-Z still does not work as of the latest update on Version 1.4.5 (installer 1.4.5), but I have found an alternative solution. Cmd-Shift-U happens to let you redo on both the Dvorak layout and standard QWERTY layout (on Mac Ventura 13.5.2 at least).

1 Like

I’m still experiencing this issue.

2 Likes

Just an aside - as I still have issues with this bug. Do you think it might be related to Dvorak? How so? I use it too.

1 Like

The issue with “Redo” not working when clicked from the macOS App menu will be fixed in the next version. However, I can’t confirm if the change will help with the Dvorak keyboard layout problem or not.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.