[Reading/Publish] Clicking on an Outline item in a large note with many large embedded block quotes from other notes scrolls the view pane to the wrong location

Once you’ve done the above, delete everything above this line.

Steps to reproduce

Download the sample value here: https://github.com/icebrg/samples/blob/main/SampleVault.zip
Unzip the vault
Open the vault in Obsidian
Open the “- Large Note” note
Toggle on the outline for the note
Click on an outline item, especially one not already showing in the view pane for the note

Did you follow the troubleshooting guide? [Y/N]

Y

Expected result

When clicking on an item in the outline for a note, the view scrolls to show that item in the view pane for the note.

Actual result

Often, clicking on an item in the outline scrolls the view to somewhere other than the selected outline item, often in the middle of some other item, and sometimes wildly far from the actual item.

NOTE: Sometimes the view scrolls to the proper item. And once you get it to scroll the view properly it often continues working as long as you only click on outline items.

NOTE: If you keep clicking on items without doing anything else it frequently starts always scrolling to the proper item. But you can get it back into this state most of the time by clicking on one of the other notes then going back to “- Large Note” and clicking on an outline item.

NOTE: Repeatedly clicking on the same outline item causes the view scroll to various places, and eventually scroll to the chosen item. And often (but not always) clicking on items in the outline after that works as expected until you navigate to a different note or manually scroll the view of the large note.

NOTE: This has been happening for me with my prime vault for a long time (since at least 0.15.4, possibly before), so not a newly introduced bug.

PROBLEM IS WORSE IN OBSIDIAN PUBLISH: This issue occurs 100% of the time in my site published with Obsidian Publish and there is no workaround (no amount of clicking on outline items ever scrolls the view to the right location). This makes my site unusable and so makes Obsidian Publish unusable for my site until this issue is fixed.

Environment

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.4.5
Installer version: v1.4.5
Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 22.6.0: Wed Jul 5 22:21:53 PDT 2023; root:xnu-8796.141.3~6/RELEASE_ARM64_T6020 22.6.0
Login status: logged in
Catalyst license: none
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: dark
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
none

Additional information

1 Like

There are multiple bugs here. The one in Live Preview is a known long term issue. The one that affects Publish and Reading mode is a different one. I am gonna rename this thread

1 Like

This sounds an awful lot like the bug I reported a few days ago.

Any word on a fix for this problem @WhiteNoise ?