Rapid tapping in the toolbar area causes it to dismiss

I have a screen recording of this. Recently on iOS the left most toolbar button seems to not handle repeated taps correctly. I set up a vim-style HJKL as the first four buttons in the toolbar: left / down / up / right. Tapping “left” repeatedly causes the keyboard to dismiss, I think because it’s registering a tap on the note itself and not the toolbar button.

Steps to reproduce

1. Open up a new note and type a few sentences.
  2. Customize the mobile toolbar and place cursor left / down / up / right shortcuts at the front.
  3. Tap in one of the sentences.
  4. Tap a few times on cursor left.
  5. Watch the toolbar dismiss even though the tap target is the same.

Did you follow the troubleshooting guide? Y

I’m using the default theme and the mobile toolbar is native to Obsidian. I checked for updates already. This is a recent change, so I think it comes from one of the later updates.

Expected result

Cursor movements should handle multiple taps.

Actual result

Tapping in the toolbar causes the underlying note to register a tap and for the entire keyboard to dismiss.

Environment

SYSTEM INFO:
	Operating system: ios 17.5.1 (Apple iPhone16,2)
	Obsidian version: 1.6.5 (147)
	API version: v1.6.5
	Login status: logged in
	Catalyst license: none
	Live preview: on
	Base theme: dark
	Community theme: none
	Snippets enabled: 1
	Restricted mode: off
	Plugins installed: 6
	Plugins enabled: 4
		1: Calendar v1.5.10
		2: Breadcrumbs v3.6.11
		3: Dataview v0.5.67
		4: Style Settings v1.0.8

RECOMMENDATIONS:
	Custom theme and snippets: for cosmetic issues, please first try updating your theme and disabling your snippets. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the Sandbox Vault or disable community theme and snippets.
	Community plugins: for bugs, please first try updating all your plugins to latest. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the Sandbox Vault or disable community plugins.

I can’t reproduce this happening with any of the built in buttons (like bold).
Can you?

Yes, I can repro this with bold if I put it in the first position slot. Tapping twice causes the keyboard to dismiss. My thumb position is not changing.

This has made the first position slot in the toolbar useless on mobile. I changed up the toolbar and put “command palette” in the first position because I figured that it’s useful on occasion and I don’t need to tap multiple times like I do with caret positions. But now when I tap on it the entire keyboard disappears and the command palette doesn’t show up.

I want to double down and suggest that the tap target for this first element has shifted or is being obscured by some other element because the keyboard dismiss is very similar to a second non-cursor-moving tap on the note body.

My current extra hacky workaround to this is to put the keyboard dismiss action in the first position. Now my mobile toolbar has two keyboard dismiss functions right at my fingertips despite my very rarely wanting to trigger that behavior.

Thanks. This seems to be an iOS specifc issue.

Will be fixed 1.7.1

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.