Randomly unable to rename notes

Steps to reproduce

1. Create a new note.
  2. Focus on title, rename the note.
  3. Hit tab/click to focus on the note body.

Expected result

Note title should be saved.

Actual result

Sometime the note title reverts back to the one before modification. Can’t see a pattern.

Environment

• Operating system: Windows 10
  • Obsidian version: 0.8.9

Additional information

Here’s an attempt of catching the bug in a gif. It’s random enough that I can’t record it on demand so I’ve tried for one minute by typing some words.

V6isVSS54x

For clarity:

1. First renaming attempt: from “bad euc” to “bad edu” → OK
  2. Second renaming attempt: from “bad edu” to “Bad Education” → Reverts to “bad edu”

I can’t reproduce
do you see errors in the console (ctrl-shift-i)?

Hum, OK so no errors in the console but I have weirdly narrowed down this bug: I can rename the note just fine with any words except “Bad Education”. “Bad Educatio” works just fine. :upside_down_face:

this is pretty weird

OK it was too weird not to be something dumb: this happens when there is already a note with the same name.

In this example a note named “Bad Education” was already in my vault but the warning about duplicate was hidden by my custom CSS :expressionless:

BUT I had already checked if it was a duplicate problem by searching for example filename:Bad Education which shown no result, although after checking directly in the File Explorer there is indeed a file in my vault named Bad Education.md.

file:(Bad Education)

:man_facepalming: Yep. I need to sleep. Sorry for the confusion.