Random horizontal lines appearing mid-text

I have attached some screenshots of my issue, as well as the note in which the bug appears to occur.
Please go down to line 572.

My issue here is horizontal lines appearing randomly throughout my note. The note I have here is an extraction from a PDF (my textbook) which I have been highlighting as I read.
As I click on the lines, it selects the entire paragraph. There are no “—” or “___” characters in the paragraphs and the behaviour when trying to delete characters is odd.

I have a screen recording, however I cannot attach it here.

TEXTBOOK—2100.md (531.5 KB)

1 Like

I have copied your text into my vault and can not reproduce the error. Perhaps it would be useful to you as well if you tried to reproduce the error in a shorter specimen.

Can you elaborate a bit more on that? What behaviour do you observe?

Please reproduce this in the help vault. (Just copy the file there.)

Hey there, sorry about the delay. I had a super busy week as a student.

So this error seems to occur in longer documents (800+ lines, 8200+ words, 53000+ characters).

The horizontal lines appear, as described, randomly. Completely randomly.

I do use “___” to make horizontal line separators, but the ones that do appear are not mine.


  • The line appears and remains on one line. As I type, letters begin to clip through or are hidden under the line. (I will attach many screenshots).
  • When you click on a line, it selects the entire paragraph and the line disappears
  • Once you de-select the selected paragraph, the line reappears in the same state it was before.
  • Some letters will turn black for some reason.
  • Sometimes it is one line, sometimes it is six. When you click on one, they will all disappear and select the affected paragraph, then all reappear upon de-selection.
  • On the topic of deleting characters, the odd behaviour is that the characters that “hide” under the lines will emerge, and the characters that succeed past the line will begin to take the place of the now-deleted characters.

This problem occurs on any long file, not just the file aforementioned. If the file is long enough, the lines will appear.

Below are images of the lines, and what happens when you click on one.

– end of screenshots –

Please post a screen recording of this bug happening in the help vault (the one you get by clicking the ? in the lower left corner) and attach a copy of the file that is causing the issue

You can upload a screen recording in any cloud services you use and post the link here.

In every single instance shown here the funny rendering seems to occur in the place where there is a line break in the PDF (assuming the white pages to the left showing the PDF).

The original sample file seems to have text that has come from another file format, such as PDF or RTF. It doesn’t appear to be original markdown. If that is the case, I doubt any weirdness is down to Obsidian.

Attached is a long file written only in Obsidian. Does this produce the same irregularities?


AnotherSample.md.zip (2.4 KB)

Hey there. I will try that one out.

The files are indeed is a PDF > Markdown.

However, I have observed this behaviour on a note not converted. That is, I created the note and added to it without any conversions.

It was at around ~700 lines that I began observing this behaviour

Here’s an Obsidian-written file of more than 100,000 words / 15,000 lines. Any glitches?


100k.md.zip (4.7 KB)

Hello there, so it appears that the horizontal lines have turned into something else with this new update.

Now it is making file links for files that don’t exist out of the text.

In your sample files I have not been able to reproduce the error, and I have included one screenshot showing that.

Now with this new problem, it causes the client to lag while having these things go all over the place. Also, sometimes it embeds the current note in the bugged text as part of this strange issue.

We will look at this ONLY if you show it happening in either the help vault or in your current vault but with safe mode on and default theme.

I agree that the files you attached looks hastily converted from some other format. I am going to move this thread to help.

If you find a minimum reproducible example (again, reproducible in the help vault), open a new bug report and attach a screen recording and the file.

Hey there. So I have not been able to reproduce this in the help vault.

I find that the bug occurs only in larger documents.

I was doing some organization and that included copy/pasting some stuff around. I was working on the note on the right-hand side when the bug occurred again. So I turned on safe-mode and applied the default theme, and the bug remained.

Another thing is that sometimes text gets turned into code-blocks as shown. I have not added anything to turn it into code blocks.

Here there are no lines that I have added, and you can see how the text gets cut-off by the lines. Weirdly, the text sort of “wraps” or hides under the lines. If I delete text, text that was “wrapped” or hidden under the line reappears, and text succeeding the lines will move backward and fold under the line as well.

And you can see how some text is darker than others. That also a weird one. And as previously shown, some note links also get darkened.

I have run into this issue as well. For me it happens most frequently in combination with tables in the Dataview plugin. I have not attempted to reproduce it in a new vault. Usually one of the horizontal table borders will stay “stuck”, and remain rendered on screen even after going to a different file. I’ll see if I can reproduce it in a new vault.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.