Raindrop.io Integration

Raindrop.io is a nice link bookmarking & organization app that has a pretty good public API, Zapier, and IFTTT integrations. If you pay for it, it also keeps offline archives of links. Their apps source is also on GitHub (Though the backend is closed), which may be helpful for integration purposes (or not).

Here is a screenshot of what the app itself looks like (All of this can be accessed through the API). I would recommend going to their homepage though, it’s better described there:

The uses cases that come to mind:

1. Link to raindrop bookmark for reference URLs.
    • Providing a hover-over preview for the reference, as well as the ability to view the cached page (if available).
    • Still maintain the original site URL, but augmented with the raindrop bookmark if it exists
  2. Create raindrop bookmarks from URLs pasted into obsidian notes
    • This helps ensure permanent access to the reference (if you are a paying raindrop user)
    • Better organization for just links through the 3rd party app
  3. Tag sharing
    • Not sure how this would work, or if it’s a bad idea. But consistent, shared, tagging would be handy.
16 Likes

Hey, @DouglasG. I think this kind of integration with raindrop.io would be amazing! Was it ever implemented? Have you found a solution?

1 Like

Hello! @DouglasG I’ve come here to suggest the same idea, but I think that probably someone else already has suggested it… and it is!

It’s a great idea in my opinion.

I think that Raindrop.io fits perfectly to save our favorites things on the internet. It can integrate with the smartphone and many browsers and Operational Systems. So it’s ideal for this use.

And Obsidian is our second brain, many people have a workflow between Obsidian and Raindrop, they’re perfect companions for each other.

1 Like

Hello,

it seems that someone started an obsidian plugin: GitHub - mtopping/obsidian-raindrop: This plugin allows for basic integration with Raindrop.io, a bookmarking service and Obsidian.

2 Likes

The “Raindrop Highlights” plugin is now available and works perfectly.
Personally I drop links into folders (in raindrop), and add tags to it if required.

In Obsidian, the plugin allows you to choose the folder to be synchronized into Obsidian. Dataview can then do fancy stuff with it based on the tags and folders.

2 Likes