QuickAdd Plugin

Hello! I admit I am new to Obsidian and not much into coding, but I really like how Obsidian is fitting into my time management and Quickadd is becoming a staple part of it.

I was wondering though, for Capture, can you please keep the “Insert After” option if “Current File” option is turned on, or at least have a {{CURRENTFILEPATH}} syntax? It would be a great option if I want to quickly add items to a heading block in a file that is currently open, or even move whole sections to a particular heading, without having multiple commands/macros for each file if said files have similar structures like, let’s say, multiple projects.

Or if you have an alternative way of doing what I described I would love to hear it!

3 Likes

+1 for this, i felt the exact same issue with these two situations

1 Like

Hello! I just discovered quickadd js yesterday and was hoping to achieve this with it:

1. automatically obtain weather info from “wttr.in/?format=3” on mobile.

Could anyone tell me what I should write in the quickadd js codeblock? I’m a newbie at coding and could not possibly figure out a way myself atm. I use tp.user function curl "wttr.in/?format=3" on PC, but neither can tp.user nor curl work on mobile.

Many thanks.

Has someone understood the purpose of :

executeChoice(choiceName: string, variables?: {[key: string]: any})

In the QuickAdd API ?

Bug description :

Empty variables ("") declared in QuickAdd.variables will trigger an input prompt.

Desired outcome :

We should be able to choose if we want an input prompt for empty variables or not.

Any way to change this behavior ?

Usecase :

In a .js script made to import movies, I define the variable myRating in QuickAdd.variables. If the movie has been seen, this variable is worth the rating (e.g. : "8/10"). Else, this variable is empty ("").

If I decided that the variable myRating is empty, I don’t want a prompt to specify its value, which is the case currently.

Workaround :

If an empty variable is desired, define it as " " and not as "".

2 Likes

Hey guys!
I have a {{VDATE: date, DD-MM-yyyy}} on a template which is used in a macro and works fine.
I’d like to automatically increase that date, like what’s done with {{DATE+7}}, is it possible?

Thanks

The plugin’s format syntax documentation is at

https://github.com/chhoumann/quickadd/blob/master/docs/FormatSyntax.md

There it says

{{VDATE:<variable name>, <date format>}} You’ll get prompted to enter a date and it’ll be parsed to the given date format. You could write ‘today’ or ‘in two weeks’ and it’ll give you the date for that. Works like variables, so you can use the date in multiple places. REQUIRES THE NATURAL LANGUAGE DATES PLUGIN!

Thaks for helping

I’m able to use these formats, what I wanted to know is if I can increase the VDATE without having to input it again.

Like this

Aah, so some kind of multi-select? It’s not possible by default. I added it to my backlog.

Here’s a simple script to do it. You can change the options as you want, but do keep Done the same.

```js quickadd
const suggester = this.quickAddApi.suggester;
let toSuggest = ["Up late", "Fast asleep", "Poor sleep", "Done"];
const responses = [];
let response;

while (response !== "Done") {
    response = await suggester(toSuggest, toSuggest);
    if (response !== "Done") {
        responses.push(response);
        toSuggest = toSuggest.map(s => s === response ? `✅ ${s}` : s);
    }
}

return responses.join(", ");
```

You can put that in your capture, for example.

4 Likes

This is definitely something I want to do. It’s a weird constraint in the first place, lol. I have it on my to-dos!

1 Like

This executes a choice (the menu options you create) given the name. And you can set the values of variables, too. Good for sequential execution with different variable values. I.e., iterating through a dataset and creating a new note with different data, but the same ‘template’.

3 Likes

Interesting use case! I’ll add it to my backlog. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you! I appreciate your help and will give it a try.

1 Like

Thanks for the multi-select code snippet. Very helpful. I made some small modifications: response values can differ from suggestions, and selected items can be deselected. Here’s the code, maybe somebody will find it useful.

In my case the js code is executed by the Templater plugin, but of course it can equally be used with quickadd.

<%*
// Configuration start
let suggestions = new Array ("Mb", "Test1", "Test2", "Done");
let values = new Array ("[[Information/9 Meta/habits/mb|Mb]]", "Value1", "Value2", "Done");
const question = "Your tags for today?";
const checkMark = "✅ ";
// Configuration end

const config = {
  "suggestions": suggestions,
  "values": values,
  "responses": []
};

let response;
while (response !== "Done") {
    response = await tp.system.suggester(config.suggestions, config.values, true, question);
    if (response !== "Done") {	
		let rIndex = config.responses.indexOf(response);
		if (rIndex > -1) {
				config.responses.splice(rIndex, 1);					
		} else {				
			config.responses.push(response);
		}
		let vIndex = config.values.indexOf(response);
		let suggestion = config.suggestions[vIndex];
		if (suggestion.startsWith(checkMark)) {
			config.suggestions[vIndex] = suggestion.replace(checkMark,"");
		} else {
			config.suggestions[vIndex] = checkMark + suggestion;
		}
	}
}

// console.log(config);
let result = config.responses.join(", ");
return result
_%>
6 Likes

Thanks a lot for the plugin!. I’m working intensively with it. I have quick suggestions/ideas if you are interested on add it to the plugin, try to resolve it with Macro Script o share with me any previous/existing solution.

1. Note name suggestions: It will be great to see name suggestions based in existing notes in name prompt (“Template” actions). Quick tip: You can add [[ and deleting it to do it. This will be use to add new registers in existing diseases and also add new ones based on templates.
    Example:

2. Disable open the same file when is already open (“Template” actions): Continuing with the last example, when I create a new register to an existing diseases’ note (with “Open the created file” enable), Quickadd open it again. It will be great to have a way to stop open the file when is already active.
    Example:

3. Native Multi-select suggester: Using {{VALUE:}}, change the " , " for a " + " to activate the “multi-variable”. It will show a Checkbox in the left side of the classic promp option. (PD: I think the creator already have it in their To Do)
    Example: {{VALUE:X+Y+Z}} Test

4. Note-based suggester variables (Like “List from a range” of Google Sheets): Using {{VALUE:}} with [[Link]] it will be possible to add new variables quickly (also with other Quickadd’s actions).
    Example: {{VALUE:[[Note A]]}}

5. Fold/Unfold all actions button: A quickway to do it, it will be awesome.
    Example:

Idk if this is simple to implement, but hopefully work as inspiration to you! Thanks again for this great plugin!

2 Likes

Hi, I’m a bit stuck with this one, could someone help please?

What I want to be able to do is to add, in my current document, a link to a new page. That page should have a front matter field for ‘type’, and I want to be able to choose from a list of values for type.

How I’d like this to work is: on my current page, I select a line of text (which will become the file name of my new page). I then automatically create a new page with that name that has front matter including the field type, and I get presented with a list of options for the type field, from which I choose and ‘type’ gets set to that value.

Is this possible, please?

Hey @Christian, using your TV & movie script. Great stuff, thank you for releasing it.

Out of curiosity, why use IMDb instead of something like TMDb? If I understand correctly, TMDb can dish out more metadata than imbd.

Hi, I would like to know if there any chance to You to write a WOX (equivalent to Alfred) plugin or something where we can quick add from windows directly.

Is there a way to repeat update existing note properties with QuickAdd/MetaEdit? This QuickAdd macro works for changing a single property in daily notes, but I want it to repeat for select properties in my daily note, each with their own values (some of which are the same across properties eg. habits will either be :white_check_mark: or :negative_squared_cross_mark:), without having to run the macro for each property.

Just wanted to chime in with a big THANK YOU! Combining QuickAdd with Dataview I finally have a usable stock trading journal.

Whenever I run my QuickAdd command, it just creates a new page with my Trade Journal template, asking me to fill in the details of the trade. I then view this on a Dataview table. The Profit column is calculated with Dataview using the Entry, Exit, and Shares values.

It’s fast, it’s easy, and I’ll actually bother to record my trades now! Thanks so much. My only outstanding issue is I cannot seem to carry the variable for Ticker over from the filename to the Ticker column (which is part of the template YAML metadata.) Is there something I can do to prevent myself from having to type in the same variable twice?

2 Likes