Quick Switcher fails to find file

Quick switcher is not finding a note called “Sample JSON for Mongo Dynamic Assortment Filter” when typing the word “Dynamic” into the quick switcher. See video for repro.

output
Open GIF in new tab otherwise its difficult to see the issue

Steps to reproduce

Open quick switcher, type “dynamic”. Does not find result.

Expected result

Should find the entry.

Environment

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v0.13.19
Installer version: v0.12.19
Login status: not logged in
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: dark
Community theme: Obsidian Nord
Snippets enabled: 0
Safe mode: off
Plugins installed: 2
Plugins enabled: 1
1: Advanced Tables

It finds it. It’s just not in the top entries

Hi WhiteNoise. I just edited that file (put in a new line) in Obsidian, thus updating its modified date. It still does not appear in the Quick Switcher.

Scroll down or add more text.

I don’t understand what you mean. This file is the “most up to date” that contains the search term “dynamic”, but it is still not appearing in the quick switcher.

Quick switcher does not allow you to scroll down, if I recall it is limited to 10 entries only.

Search results are t ordered by last opened

I mean, the file was “just opened” since I had to edit it in the first place in Obsidian. This seems like a bug.

Quick Switcher with no filter actually shows the file!

Quick Switcher with keyword “dynamic”:

Again search result aren’t sorted by last accessed. Write “dynamic a” and it will appear.

Feel free to search/open a feature request about this.

Can you please define “Last Opened”? I mean the file was OPENED, it was physically opened in Obsidian. If this is confusing me (from a UI/UX perspective), then I can guarantee it’ll confuse any casual user of Obsidian.

How do I “open” a file in Obsidian? I have in order:

1. Opened the file and read the contents in Obsidian
  2. Edited the file and added text to it

How much more do I have to do for the file to be considered the last “opened”?

I haven’t opened any of the other MD files you’re seeing in my Quick Switcher screenshot in over a week, so I do not understand why the Quick Switcher would not propagate the “Sample JSON for Mongo Dynamic Assortment Filter” note to the top.

stat (on macos) shows the following information in terminal:

stat -x "Sample JSON for Mongo Dynamic Assortment Filter.md"                                                                                                  ✔  27s 
  File: "Sample JSON for Mongo Dynamic Assortment Filter.md"
  Size: 2645         FileType: Regular File
  Mode: (0644/-rw-r--r--)         Uid: (  501/   shaun)  Gid: (   20/   staff)
Device: 1,17   Inode: 12589771    Links: 1
Access: Fri Jan 14 17:51:29 2022
Modify: Fri Jan 14 17:51:29 2022
Change: Fri Jan 14 17:51:29 2022

Sorry mobile edit. files aren’t sorted by last opened.

From the official help page Quick switcher

If it’s not sorted by “recently visited”, then what is the sort priority?

EDIT: I realized that the wording on the help page is technically the first notes brought up in Quick Switcher. I’m guessing there is no sorting at all when you start typing a search keyword. Do I understand that correctly?

there is no sorting based on last file access in Search results. Feel free to open a FR about it.

Yeah I think I got it. I had a misunderstanding of how Quick Switcher works because when first opened (Cmd-O), it shows you the most recently accessed files, but then does not have sorting as soon as you start to type in a search term. Thanks, I might bring this up in an FR.

My guess would be that it is faster to respond to typed characters if it doesn’t also have to do a full date sort. Not sure how much by though.