Question: How is Obsidian better than a standalone Mind Mapping program?

Things I have tried

What I’m trying to do

Hi, I just started with Obsidian, and I’m trying to wrap my mind around it. This is probably an ignorant question but how is Obsidian better than a standard Mind Map I might create in another program?

Lacking any context of what you’re trying to do, it is difficult to judge good or bad.

Obsidian is a Markdown notes app. The graph view is useful for connections and relationships. But it isn’t fixed and spatial like a mind map. Sometimes that spatial organization is what you need, in which case a mind map would be better. (There are plugins that can handle stuff like maps, or timelines. I haven’t used them.)

But many mind map tools (citation needed) don’t have the kind of rich note-taking features that Obsidian has. Markdown formatting, support for Latex, YAML, Mermaid, tasks, calendar, dynamic queries with plugins like dataview, etc.

Also Obsidian’s graph isn’t a DAG (directed acyclic graph). It doesn’t have to follow a set branching structure like typical mind maps do (I’m sure some can link arbitrarily). Obsidian is more like a wiki or a website where the connections can go bi-directionally, or cross-link in any way.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.