Query Blocks and Tables? (Resolved)

Apologies in advance if this question has already been answered. This may be a dumb question, and I have no idea if what I’m asking for is even possible to do.

For the work that I do, it would be beneficial to have a note with a search query that returns a list of materials that meet certain criteria, and then for each listed material the note would describe the topics it covers and my one or two sentence takeaway (with the topics and my comments delineated in the original note, perhaps, by a heading?).

So, for example, if I ran a query for materials containing the tag “lemming,” ideally the query would return a table listing all of my notes with that tag, with the following columns: Note Title, Topics, My Comments. (In case it matters, I am using the Advanced Tables plugin.)

Alternatively, is there any way to cause a query block to return more than just the name of the note?

Am I making any sense? Is this even possible? Can query blocks even go inside a table cell? If so, how would I set this up? Is there another way to accomplish this? How many questions can I ask in one paragraph?

I have a basic understanding of markdown and can run a basic query, but that’s it.

Thank you!

1 Like

Cool idea.

However, as far as I know, what you are saying is not possible.

Technically, you could have a query block in a separate note and link to that note from a cell in a table. However, it sounds like you want each of the search results to the query block on separate rows instead of an entire query within a cell. It would be especially tricky to do what you are asking because the number of items would change.

I had a similar thought, but instead wanted to be able to link to results within queries as if they were headings. Here’s a link: Allow for embedded query results from embedded search block - #3 by I-d-as

Good Luck. Maybe you could create a feature request if you think it is possible.

Thanks.

Thank you for your reply. I suspected it would not be possible.

Community plugins are the best place to look, I think. Obsidian Query Language and dataview are both attempts at what you’re going for.

1 Like

Dataview did exactly what I wanted:

Thank you!

3 Likes