Put .obsidian folder in different folder from the folder of markdown files?

Things I have tried

What I’m trying to do

Is there a way to specify the “.obsidian” folder for a vault to be located at a different location/folder from the folder of .md markdown files which that vault uses? From what I see, the normal behavior is for the “.obsidian” folder for a vault to always be located inside the same folder as the folder of markdown files which it is using. I would like to be able to separate the “.obsidian” folder and the folder of markdown files.

Well, you can create one more folder inside vault and create md files there.
Like:
Vault:
— .obsidian*
— notes
---- \note1.md
---- \note2.md

You can also try to set symbolic link for .obsidian folder, but I wouldn’t suggest this decision, if you don’t know exactly what are you doing. .obsidiancontains setting for vault and some metainfo about vault for obsidian app, so it can be tricky thing to use symbolic link.

For now, you can’t set different location for .obsidian folder in app and I believe you can’t even set location deeper that root folder of vault.

I want a different obsidian configuration for each vault.

I imagine that, if you want a shared configuration across vaults, you might symlink the .obsidian directory.

Okay thanks :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.