ProWritingAid plugin

It would be useful to have ProWritingAid plugin in Obsidian.

5 Likes

Great to see someone else is interested in a ProWritingAid plugin! I came to see if I could find any interest and to give my support for integration of this wonderful writer’s tool. ProWritingAid is fantastic and together with Obsidian it would be a huge leap forward for my uses.

2 Likes

Is there any hope to have ProWritingAid integration here?

I, too, would be thrilled to see this, as I have an API key which works with several other programs already! It would be fabulous to have them here as well!

I really hope this happens! I love ProWritingAid and use it regularly but having it as a plugin that automatically works along with me as it does in Chrome browser would be truly fabulous.

But you can just have both open. PWA reads markdown files. You can write in either.

Apart from adding knowledge of Obsidian syntax, I’m not sure what else a plugin would add.

Hi, Everyone,
ProWritingAid released an app called ProWritingAid Everywhere for Windows. I can confirm that, unlike my Grammarly app, it works in conjunction with Obsidian.

2 Likes

I’m not sure I understand what you mean. Are you saying it can have a .md file open that you are currently also editing in Obsidian and it will show you potential edits?

And, if having the same file open in both apps, I suppose that means you can apply the changes on the PWA side and it will carry over in real-time?

Are you referring to the fact that PWA has an API and you have the key to use with other apps you use? Or, are you saying you have written plugins that use API keys from other sources?

I happened to find this: Grammar Check API from ProWritingAid - Used by over 2 Million People

I have no idea how to write an Obsidian plugin that could use this API, but am also wondering if this is a newer development by PWA.

Yes, yes.

1 Like

Never occurred to me to try this! While a plugin would be better for workflow, this should help in the meantime. Thanks!

There can be advantages in having both open. PWA can look very busy and distracting.

Fair point.

I’m actually writing a novel in Obsidian and would only want to grammar check after the creative writing process for that use case. So, not a big deal to later open those md files in PWA.

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to give the link I found that allows you to use ProWritingAid Everywhere that works without having to develop a plugin specifically for Obsidian;

You control where ProWritingAid Everywhere works

It took me a moment to find it but this little blue dot is the indicator icon location in Obsidian
After Opening

These are the options that appear on-hover
Right Icon On Hover

This is what opens when clicking on the icon hovered over

These are the options when clicking on the left power button icon
Power Button Options

Here is an example text, Obsidian’s own Terms of Service, with ProWritingAid Everywhere checking the body’s text.

Also, in case you don’t happen to know what this icon consisting of six dots is to the the left of the close ‘X’ icon, it allows you to click and drag the Suggestions HUD in case it’s hovering over text you’re trying to edit.

Hope this helps!

side-note: I have Windows 11 so I don’t know specifically if it works in other operating systems.

1 Like

Thanks for this! I looked again and there is now a beta of the ProWritingAid Everywhere for the Mac. I will definitely give this a try!

1 Like

I’m happy to help!

Is the Mac version working as the article describes within Obsidian?

PWA Everywhere does not yet work with Obsidian on Mac, per my experience. Someone on Reddit said it did, but I haven’t been able to duplicate it. I’m running the latest Obsidian, latest PWA Everywhere and the latest MacOS (non-beta).

1 Like

If it is this Reddit post that you’re referring to, I authored it.

I did write a side-note here and there that it works in Windows 11, and I don’t have access to testing it on a Mac so I was unsure if it was universal.

1 Like

Yeah, that was me…I wrote here several days after I read your comment on Reddit, and must have forgotten your side note! Sorry about that, didn’t mean to misrepresent what you said.

Still disappointed it doesn’t work on my Mac… :rage:

I finally got around to trying this too. I concur it does not work on macOS. :frowning_face:

Today I saw there was an update to PWA Everywhere, but still no worky.