Provide a way to re-index files that have been changed outside of Obsidian

With regards to symlinks it says the following.

Changes performed outside of Obsidian are not watched for, so if you change the file directly, Obsidian will not detect the change, update search indexes, etc.

Is there any way of forcing a re-index for symlinked files that you may run once in a while.

1 Like

Moved to #get-help

As in, tell Obsi to check if any filenames have changed and update the text of relevant links?

Not at the moment. Might be a good Feature requests!

This was initially phrased as a feature request but moved to #get-help. So perhaps we can move it back? Would probably be useful if custom plugins could hook into re-indexing etc as well.

Rephrased as a FR.

I don’t think we’ll see this anytime soon, though. How would Obsidian know how a changed file corresponds with a selection of links? How would this handle copying/moving and the like? It seems simple at face value but implementation would probably be very difficult.

Perhaps a UUID solution would be better: UUID for note links in URL scheme

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

As a workaround when I want to reindex I execute the command ‘reload app without saving’. When the app starts, it reindexes automatically.

3 Likes

My iPad workflow would necessitate a command I could call (even from a Siri Shortcut with Advanced URI) that does a re-index. It is helpful when moving md and especially image files over to the vault.
With the new Live Preview handling sheets of text (not a fan of it so far), I cannot see images until I wait a few seconds and playing around with Reading and Editing Mode.