Properties: Properties "don't appear anymore" after typing the 3 "opening" YAML hyphens

Context: Since Properties were available, adding 3 hyphens (---) at the very top of a note in Live Preview (creating at the same time YAML in source mode) would automatically bring up front the Properties view in the note and one could easily add Properties/YAML to the current note from there :blush: .

The Catalyst release of Obsidian v1.4.6 seems to break that behaviour for me :pensive: ā€¦
(See down below for the result I get)

Steps to reproduce

1. Open the Sandbox Vault
  2. Try to add Properties to Start Here.md by typing the opening --- at the top of the note (on line 1)

Did you follow the troubleshooting guide?

Yes, this was tested and reproduced in the Sandbox vault

Expected result

I was expecting to see Properties appearing in Live Preview once I added the --- at the top of the note, as it always did so far :blush: .

Actual result

Once the 3 hyphens (---) are in place (where they should, at the top of the note), they ā€œdisappearā€ in LP and the Properties view is nowhere to be found/inaccessible/not rendered within the note as it was before Obsidian 1.4.6.

On the other side though, in Source mode, the YAML tied to the Properties are created.
(I mean, the YAML block is definitively there as the 3 ā€œclosingā€ hyphens (---) are automatically created once the 3 opening ones are added to a noteā€¦ as expected)

From Live Preview, I canā€™t add any key/value pairs in Properties ā€¦ as well, the Properties view doesnā€™t show up in the note but, I can still create key/value pairs of YAML in Source modeā€¦

Iā€™m pretty sure this is not even close to how I can describe what actually happens (:sweat_smile:) so hereā€™s a screen-recording :

Left side is Live Preview and right side is Source mode :pensive:

Obsidian 1.4.6 - Properties

I also have no idea why, when trying to type anything (the word Prop in the screen-recording), the cursor is moved backward :thinking: ā€¦
As I type the letter P then try to type rop after it, the cursor gets automatically placed before the P leading to ropP instead of Prop.

Edit: Hereā€™s another screen-recording, still from the Sandbox vault where Iā€™ve toggled On the Show line number setting :blush: .

Once again the left side of the screen-recording is in Live Preview and the right side Source mode:

Obsidian 1.4.6 - Properties 2

• In Live Preview, after typing the 3 ā€œopeningā€ YAML hyphens (---), instead of having the Properties view rendered on line 1, the lines 1 to 3 seem to get ā€œeatenā€, the note now beginning on line 4 without any access to the previous lines.
  • In Source mode, the lines 1 to 3 seem to be now reserved for the YAML block (as expected, I think :blush: )

Environment

MacOS Big Sur 11.7.9 + Obsidian 1.4.6

SYSTEM INFO:
	Obsidian version: v1.4.6
	Installer version: v1.4.5
	Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 20.6.0: Thu Jul  6 22:12:47 PDT 2023; root:xnu-7195.141.49.702.12~1/RELEASE_X86_64 20.6.0
	Login status: logged in
	Catalyst license: supporter
	Insider build toggle: on
	Live preview: on
	Legacy editor: off
	Base theme: dark
	Community theme: none
	Snippets enabled: 0
	Restricted mode: off
	Plugins installed: 0
	Plugins enabled: 0

RECOMMENDATIONS:
	none

Additional information

I didnā€™t change any settings in Obsidian between v1.4.5 and v.1.4.6 and it was working fine earlier :pensive: .
I updated the installer from 1.3+ to 1.4.5 when Properties was publicly released but other than that, nothing changed in my vaults (no theme, no new pluginsā€¦)

Edit: Added another screen-recording.

2 Likes

Can confirm this happens on mine as well. Really odd cause I remember it working in the Catalyst version as well.

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.4.6
Installer version: v1.4.5
Operating system: Windows 10 Home 10.0.22621
Login status: logged in
Catalyst license: insider
Insider build toggle: on
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: adapt to system
Community theme: Aura v2.1.0
Snippets enabled: 4
Restricted mode: off
Plugins installed: 21
Plugins enabled: 17
1: Obsidian Git v2.20.7
2: Calendar v1.5.10
3: Dataview v0.5.56
4: Digital Garden v2.45.2
5: Editor Syntax Highlight v0.1.3
6: Highlightr v1.2.2
7: Settings Search v1.3.8
8: Tag Wrangler v0.5.11
9: Tidy Footnotes v0.1.1
10: Templater v1.16.0
11: Style Settings v1.0.6
12: Paste image rename v1.6.1
13: Emoji Toolbar v0.4.1
14: Discord Rich Presence v1.5.1
15: Taskbone v2.0.1
16: Force note view mode v1.2.0
17: Wiki Digital Garden v2.45.2

RECOMMENDATIONS:
Custom theme and snippets: for cosmetic issues, please first try updating your theme and disabling your snippets. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the Sandbox Vault or disable community theme and snippets.
Community plugins: for bugs, please first try updating all your plugins to latest. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the Sandbox Vault or disable community plugins.

1 Like

Thank you for reproducing this from your side of the screen :blush: !
Itā€™s reassuring to know that ā€œitā€™s not just meā€ :sweat_smile:

Yes, I never encountered any issue with this in any of the previous Catalyst release :confused:ā€¦ until v1.4.6 :woman_shrugging:

I know there are other ways (through the command palette, etcā€¦) to add Properties to a file/note but having Properties automatically show up after adding the --- on line 1 was a very practical ā€œshortcutā€ :innocent: .

I can only hope this will get fixed at some point :blush: !

will be fixed 1.4.7

2 Likes

Marvellous :raised_hands: ! Thank you :grin: !

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.