TLDR I want to append a template to a file using the Buttons plugin, but I can’t figure out how to format my filepath to the template.
the error message
my folder setup
Formats I’ve tried
- “add-section” (like documentation?)
- I moved the file to “digitalRoads” to test if maybe the spaces in “Logs & Notes” was the issue. Then wrote as “digitalRoads/add-section.md”. Did not work… also spaces work everywhere else so I don’t think this is the problem
- “digitalRoads/Logs & Notes/mind/entries/template/add-section”
- “digitalRoads/Logs & Notes/mind/entries/template/add-section/”
- “digitalRoads/Logs & Notes/mind/entries/template/add-section.md” This is the one my brain feels like should work
- “digitalRoadskeeping/digitalRoads/Logs & Notes/mind/entries/template/add-section”
- “digitalRoadskeeping/digitalRoads/Logs & Notes/mind/entries/template/add-section.md”
In my Journal index, I have a button that will create a new entry in my “2023” folder using the template in the screenshot, “blank-entry.md”. The command to create a new file and use this particular template is setup using QuickAdd. I could just set Buttons to use the QuickAdd command and it works great.
The output looks like:
The space under the time heading is for writing my thoughts. Then if I come back within the same day to add more, I’d like the button to
- Add the time
- Set cursor to the line below that
- Either that content is always added above the button, or that button is destroyed and a new one replaces it.
Here’s what add-section.md looks like:
Other Things I’ve Tried
- Using the append text function of Buttons instead of having the template in its own note. The Templator commands do not automatically render doing this. More clicks no bueno.
- tbh I fiddled a lot, I don’t remember…