Prompt for filename after dragging an image into a note

YES. every time i paste an image I have to deal with renaming ![[Pasted Image.png]] would greatly appreciate this

3 Likes

(Feature Request)

Please provide options to choose our own naming scheme for pasted image, in addition to existing Timestamp (v0.8.15).

Option A “Note title + Seq_num”

<current note title + seq_num>
( without prefix “pasted image” please )

If images get pasted into a note titled “my note”, they are named
my note 01.png
my note 02.jpg
my note 03.jpeg
… etc

Use case

• I find it to be the most natural and clean, as the pasted images named using current note title are easily “find”-able & sort-able, thus moveable (if needed) together with their associated notes in OS file managers or Obsi file explorer
  • Although associated notes’ titles are subjected to changes, naming with this option is still closest possible.
  • Timestamp is rather cryptic for the use case. The use of double digit Sequence number suffice.

Option B “Note title + Date-time”

( without prefix “pasted image” please )

Is fool-proof and provides highest level of uniquesness of filename and yet still serves the same use case well.

Background/Related requests
Time stamps as attachment filenames
Request: naming options in addition to Timestamp

#pasted-image-naming

14 Likes

I second this feature request. In particular, when I paste an image, it automatically creates a link and name for it (e.g. “![[Pasted Image 2394820934.png]]”). However, image names with spaces are not supported by regular markdown in other applications, neither this type of wikilinks.

I normally create my presentations in Deckset, and the image link that is standardly supported is, for example, ![](folder_name/image_name.png).

Please allow custom image filenames and links so the files can easily be compatible with other markdown applications.

Basically, I want that when I paste an image, the link and name that is created looks something like ![](custom_folder/image-209348209348.png).

Thanks in advance,

2 Likes

I second this request. I would also be open to this feature as a plugin

Agree. I’m using 1writer as an substitute for Obsidian on my ipad pro. Space is not well recognized. It would be helpful if I can set the auto-naming format.

This request would be greatly appreciated, as I use a simple system to save my screenshots and I would like to have underscores between names, rather than spaces.

I was going to ask for option A as well just now - but you already did. Thanks!

@WhiteNoise Sorry to bother but pls :cry:.
We want this

2 Likes

I would also love this. Any updates on this? Is this something that could even be done as a plug-in in the interim?

1 Like

I would say two options are needed:

1. a template for auto image name generation like:
    [hash].[extension] : ![](3307D18160AB7426B67FE200F12D664C.jpg)
    or
    [timestamp].[extension] : ![](2020210523144725.jpg) (this is similar to v0.12.3)
    or
    [relative_path]/[timestamp].[extension] : attachments/2020210523144725.jpg

2. a prompt or auto focus to rename the file.

I describe here a partial solution to this problem until it is implemented:
https://forum.obsidian.md/t/time-stamps-as-attachment-filenames/1124/12?u=neurosock

If I paste an image or drag-and-drop an image into a note, it’d nice to be asked if you want to name it.

Then if you choose not to give the image a custom name, you could allow users to specify a template to use to name the note, but that seems a bit much and more than needed.

If no custom name is given, you can default the name to something like:

{{currentNoteTitle}}-hh:mm:ss

That makes the image easier to find later. (And if it’s in the same folder, then it’s adjacent to the note in the finder.

The hh:mm:ss would help avoid the need to programmatically increment multiple pasted notes or to rely on the finder to differentiate duplicate file names (by appending (1), (2) to the file name).

1 Like

Great feature request ! Any news on this ?

Especially the option to add ${fileName} as attachment name.

Thanks.

2 Likes

Same here - very much in favor. I’m collecting all attachments in a dedicated folder in my vault, right now it just turns into a big bag of anonymous images.

2 Likes

The automatic name scheme of YYYY-MM-DD_Pasted-image-N would by itself improve the chaos a lot.

3 Likes

I didn’t see this thread before but I just made a plug-in to solve similar problems, you can take a look and give some suggestions Paste image rename plugin

3 Likes

Just updated Paste image rename plugin to support drag’n drop image renaming, take a look if you are interested.

2 Likes

Check out Paste image rename plugin, it can use {{fileName}} and {{DATE:$FORMAT}} as pattern to rename new images.

4 Likes

+1, i would really like this in core obsidian, not just as a plugin.

Thank you for making this plugin!