Problem with cursor positioning after some formatting symbols when using input method IME CJK

Steps to reproduce

1. Using Chinese input method (maybe other language shares this problem)
  2. Create formatting elements like headers, list etc. A space should be appended to reproduce this
  3. Type in only one letter to see the problem

Did you follow the troubleshooting guide? [Y]

Expected result

The cursor should be positioned after the letter. The following block demonstrates this, and | symbol represents the cursor position.

- s|

Actual result

The cursor is placed in front of the letter with the input method activated.

- |s

Moreover, if we further type in this row, with some existing chars ahead, this problematic positioning would also happen.

- hello |world
- 测试|w

Environment

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.5.10
Installer version: v1.4.13
Operating system: Windows 10 Home China 10.0.19045
Login status: logged in
Catalyst license: insider
Insider build toggle: on
Live preview: on
Base theme: adapt to system
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
none

Input method: 微软拼音 / Microsoft Pinyin

Additional information

• Reported originally in the Chinese forum. 中文输入光标显示位置不正确 - 建议反馈 - Obsidian 中文论坛
  • Reproduciable in sandbox vault. Both Mac and Windows users observed this behavior.
  • Known formats with this problem: headers (h1-h6, # ), tags (#), lists (- , * , '1. '), quotes(> ), links ([, [[, don’t need trailing space to reproduce, and the paired ones also show this problem), tasks (- [ ] )
  • Inline code and code blocks work fine
2 Likes

same problem on M1 Mac obsidian 1.5.10

same problem on Linux obsidian 1.5.11,it will auto add a word when i use fcitx5. the black color word is auto add.

Thanks

Steps to reproduce

1. input [[]]
  2. input chinese continuously using chinese input method
  3. input 你好世界

Did you follow the troubleshooting guide? [Y]

Expected result

Actual result

Environment

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.5.11
Installer version: v1.4.13
Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 23.4.0: Wed Feb 21 21:44:43 PST 2024; root:xnu-10063.101.15~2/RELEASE_ARM64_T6000 23.4.0
Login status: logged in
Catalyst license: insider
Insider build toggle: on
Live preview: on
Base theme: adapt to system
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: off
Plugins installed: 0
Plugins enabled: 0

RECOMMENDATIONS:
none

Additional information

iShot_2024-03-19_05.52.31

Korean Input Bug

1. env
  • Linux Mint 21.3
  • ibus v1.5.26
  • When using Korean
  1. After the obsidian 1.5.1 update
  • obsidian is the same for both appimage and flatpak
  1. Symptom
  • Subsequent characters eat the previous character, leaving only the subsequent character.
  • If you write a single letter and type only in front of it, it is entered normally.

screen recoder : ssr-2024-03-23_19.23.50.mp4 - Google Drive

1. clear cache
  • Same symptoms continue…

What should I do?

1. If you write a single letter and type only in front of it, it is entered normally.
  2. What is the solution?
1 Like

This fatal bug has been there for several weeks.

This bug greatly affects the input experience of Obsidian. I would like to know approximately how long it would take to fix it.

1 Like

This bug occurs not only in lists but everywhere…
It happens in headlines and checklists also.
Until this bug is fixed, can all Android Ko,Ch,Jp and other language users only use Obsidian in plain text?

It seems Obsidian Team might not fully grasp how critical this is. If there were a vital score for the app, where 0 is satisfactory and 10 is the level of risk that the app won’t even start, this bug was around a 7 when it first appeared, but now it has exceeded 8.5 and seems to be on the verge of reaching 10 soon.

The quickest way to resolve this issue, I’m most curious about, is to apply a rollback in the update. It would be possible to re-release version 1.5.8 as 1.5.12. Is there a reason why this solution can’t be applied? Android users can’t roll back, so there’s no way to avoid this problem.

I wish for more users to experience the amazing writing experience Obsidian. I’m not sure how many Obsidian’s developers are, but I sincerely hope this issue is resolved quickly.

3 Likes

We grasp how critical it is

5 Likes

I have a fix for this and we will be releasing it very soon. It will come in v1.5.12.

3 Likes

I changed the input method to fcitx instead of ibus. Problem solved.
But I need to find a workaround for another reason, a bug, for not using fcitx in the first place…

all ready update to v1.5.12, it has been fixed, THX!

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.