Pressing Tab makes a quote

First, search the help docs and this forum. Maybe your question has been answered! The debugging steps can help, too. Still stuck? Delete this line and proceed.

What I’m trying to do

Indent. But when I press tab it makes a quote (highlighted in yellow)

Things I have tried

That’s not a quote, it’s a code block. In Markdown, indenting a paragraph marks it as code. You can indent by 3 or fewer spaces without marking as code, but it’s only a convenience for editing — the indentation won’t appear in reading view.

2 Likes

Oh I see. Thanks.

But it happens even on a single line. I see Youtubers indenting and indets without adding any line, which is what I want. It tried turning off theme in case it was the theme.

It sounds like you may want to turn off Settings > Editor > Show indentation guides.

1 Like

Yep, that got rid of the line alright.

It still makes a shaded block though when I indent even single sentence.

Is that normal behaviour of the software? I find that a bit strange, because if I wanted to shade the block, I could could quote.

If it also changes the font, that’s because indentation creates code blocks, as I explained earlier.

What are you using indentation to indicate? Maybe a bullet list would work for it.

1 Like

Yes, the indent works perfect in bullet lists. Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.