Polytonic Greek not rendering correctly in Obsidian

What I’m trying to do

I am using Obsidian to manage a large number of passages in Ancient Greek. Unfortunately, Obsidian is not displaying the polytonic Greek correctly. In particular, the accents do not show up as they should: rough breathings, for instance, are shifted to the right and indistinguishable from acute accents, while smooth breathings are also shifted to the right and indistinguishable from grave accents.

I know this is an issue with Obsidian and not the input, because the text shows up correctly when the relevant note is opened in a text editor.

Here’s the sort of thing I mean. Below is a passage as it shows up in Obsidian:

And here is the same passage as it shows up in a text editor:

Does anyone know if there is a fix for this?

The font used in Obsidian seems different to the one used in your text editor. My first hypothesis would be that the problem lies with the font, as it does not contain the glyphs you need to display Polytonic Greek. Try changing the font used in Obsidian.

2 Likes

Related:

This thread doesn’t have anything helpful but it’s from another user of polytonic Greek: Polytonic Greek in Obsidian note

Do you need for your polytonic greek to contain other markdown? The reason I’m asking is that I’m just wondering if you tried typing that text within a <div> block which effectively would disable markdown from being processed, would that change anything?

If you put this text in a note, do you see any difference in the presentation of the first versus the second part?

Πάτερ ἡμῶν ὁ ἐν τοῖς οὐρανοῖς· ἁγιασθήτω τὸ ὄνομά σου·
ἐλθέτω ἡ βασιλεία σου·
γενηθήτω τὸ θέλημά σου, ὡς ἐν οὐρανῷ, καὶ ἐπὶ τῆς γῆς·
τὸν ἄρτον ἡμῶν τὸν ἐπιούσιον δὸς ἡμῖν σήμερον·
καὶ ἄφες ἡμῖν τὰ ὀφειλήματα ἡμῶν,
ὡς καὶ ἡμεῖς ἀφίεμεν τοῖς ὀφειλέταις ἡμῶν·
καὶ μὴ εἰσενέγκῃς ἡμᾶς εἰς πειρασμόν, ἀλλὰ ῥῦσαι ἡμᾶς ἀπὸ τοῦ πονηροῦ.
Ἀμήν.

<div>Πάτερ ἡμῶν ὁ ἐν τοῖς οὐρανοῖς· ἁγιασθήτω τὸ ὄνομά σου·  
ἐλθέτω ἡ βασιλεία σου·  
γενηθήτω τὸ θέλημά σου, ὡς ἐν οὐρανῷ, καὶ ἐπὶ τῆς γῆς·  
τὸν ἄρτον ἡμῶν τὸν ἐπιούσιον δὸς ἡμῖν σήμερον·  
καὶ ἄφες ἡμῖν τὰ ὀφειλήματα ἡμῶν,  
ὡς καὶ ἡμεῖς ἀφίεμεν τοῖς ὀφειλέταις ἡμῶν·  
καὶ μὴ εἰσενέγκῃς ἡμᾶς εἰς πειρασμόν, ἀλλὰ ῥῦσαι ἡμᾶς ἀπὸ τοῦ πονηροῦ.  
Ἀμήν.</div>

Just to be clear, I’m also thinking that the main issue is font related, but I just wanted to present an alternative if it should somehow be related to typing within Obsidian and its markdown handling somehow.

Thanks everyone! The problem was indeed with the font. I’ve switched and everything seems to be showing up correctly now.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.