I would like to throw an idea into the group and try and refine it a little before !suggesting it.
A plugin to process certain “special” notes and run (their contents?, a configured piece of text) as a shell script, possibly appending the resulting stdout to the note
- when they are opened?, when obsidian starts?, periodically?
- many things to be done with pandoc conversion of foreign formats to md for import
- ditto for note export to other formats
- and some things which are now plugins could be done that way (like the Daily note with template, that admittedly was what started me thinking this way). This would open plugin/customisation possibilities for many more users, I suspect.
- it seems many people have scripts to process their vault in various ways
- at least in my office some standard reports were generated as markdown
Pro / Con
- we can of course always just open a shell to do the same thing
- but that’s a bit more work and slightly inconvenient
- and if I have several such daily tasks the “automatic open what was open before” function when obsidian starts would deal with them all for no time investment. Very very convenient.
- the scripts themselves are going to be OS dependent
- people could get themselves in trouble (but see 1 above)