Please undo: "Deleting a file now closes its tab"

As of v. 1.1.15 (1.1.10) the following “bug” was fixed:

Deleting a file now closes its tab if there are other tabs in the tab group.

However, in my opinion this wasn’t a bug at all but rather a matter of workflow. I desperately miss the old functionality, where it was possible to move backwards in the tab history after deleting a note. Now before deleting a note I have to make sure to open it in a seperate tab. Plus, in the tab with the history, I have to make sure the note to be deleted is not open, since the tab would be closed even if I delete the note from the seperate tab.

I propose fixing this either by:

• adding a switch that lets users decide on the behavior
  • only closing the tab if there is no tab-history.

(I am using the Pane Relief Plugin, but my request concerns the new obsidian core behavior.)

9 Likes

Maybe a feature request?

Where shall I move it? To me it did not feel like a feature request either. I put it here, since it concerns a recent “bugfix”.

A mod can move it :+1:t3:
Bug reports really need to have the bug report template filled out to be considered.

3 Likes

I would like to echo this sentiment. I too have gone mad recently realizing that deleting a file in a tab, now closes that tab after I had a previous history I wanted to navigate. I’ve been searching for a few days on settings, options, plugins, something that could allow this behavior to be altered with no luck. Would really love to see this “feature/bug/option” be selectable in the settings perhaps?

4 Likes

Thanks for backing this, @1activegeek . It is still an issue in the new version 1.2.7 and it continues to slow down my workflow… any solution to this is much appreciated!

4 Likes

Indeed, an addition of an option to reintroduce that “bug” to the workflow would be much appreciated.

1 Like

I agree, and I don’t even understand the logic of the supposed “bug fix.” It’s a lot faster and easier to close a blank tab than it is to open a new one, move it to your preferred position (which you can’t even do on mobile), and then go looking for the files that were in the now-lost history of the automatically closed one.

2 Likes

undone in 1.3.4

2 Likes

Amazing, thank you very much.
I also like that the most recent file from the history is displayed directly after file deletion. This can speed up workflows.