Plaintext bookmarks?

How would you approach the idea of a “plaintext bookmark”? Meaning, a future-proof plaintext/Markdown file containing the title, URL and any other available details of a web page.

Is there any such convention for this already?

Rationale:

• Dragged shortcut files may no longer be readable one day.
  • I am experimenting with capturing reference material to Notion and the Raindrop bookmarks manager. They’re great, but the longevity problem is greater.

Idea:

I think it would be possible for me to write a script/automation harnessing the API of either app to write the bookmark details out into plaintext files.

They could even include other fields - highlights, notes, excerpt and maybe even the original extracted text of the source article - since Raindrop and Notion can clip those. (Indeed, the source web page may no longer be available one day).

Other fields may include the bookmark collection and tags.

Uncertainty:

But how would we construct such a file in a meaningful way, one that would not only include the plaintext content but mabe have some utility in metadata, some usability inside Obsidian or similar?

Should I be looking at YAML? CSV? Maybe I sort of like the idea of opening up an individual file…

Or…

Looked at another way (the present tense rather than the future), I suppose this is sort of about creating a literature/reference note since, if I add in those other fields - highlights, notes, excerpt, content, collection, tags, date - the file is something a bit more expressive.

So is this question a crossover with the idea of an Obsidian (web) clipper? It also makes me think a little bit of flat-file/plaintext CMSes.

1 Like