Performance problems linking to notes - version 0.14.5

I have been using Obsidian daily for the last two years without issues. Recently I have run into an issue with performance creating links to another note.

Steps to reproduce

1 - Open a new note
2 - Type [[]] to start a search
3 - Enter two letters into search brackets to search for a note

Expected result

For as long as I have used Obsidian the linking function has been highly performant. Searching for notes through the search functionality or quick switcher does not demonstrate any performance problems.

Actual result

The search will take 10- 40 seconds to complete. Median time is around 20 seconds. (1.5 MB)


  • Operating system:
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home
    16 GB RAM
    7.76 Available
    2.38 GB Page File
    Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core Processor, 3801 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)

I also experience the issue on another computer where the data is synced.

  • Debug info:
    Obsidian version: v0.14.5
    Installer version: v0.13.19
    Operating system: Windows 10 Home 10.0.19043
    Login status: logged in
    Catalyst license: insider
    Insider build toggle: off
    Live preview: on
    Legacy editor: off
    Base theme: dark
    Community theme: Atom
    Snippets enabled: 0
    Safe mode: off
    Plugins installed: 8
    Plugins enabled: 0

Additional information

I have about 4500 notes. Total space is around 110 mb. I do not have Detect All File Extensions enabled. I’ve been trying to work around the problem for the last month. I tried creating a new vault and migrating notes into the new vault. After about 1000 notes the same behavior appears.

I have taken a performance profile snapshot.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide. I love this tool and don’t want to give up on it.

1 Like

download and reinstall obsidian. disable plugin and themes. restart obsidian. Try again, if you get the slowdown, please do a perfoamance profile

do you have notes with really long names?

Would you be able to share a copy of your vault to me privately (Preferably via DM on Discord to Licat)?

I uninstalled and reinstalled with no notable performance improvements. I have attached a performance profile with the initial post. I can re-create additional profiles as needed.

I just walked the filenames using Python and found the max filename length to be 144. I would consider that a long file name.

I will direct message you Licat.

Licat was able to track this down. I had a bad link in one note that was causing the issues. Once the link corrected the problem was resolved.

The link looked something like this in case anyone runs into this in the future.

[[\\\\\Egypt]] - except it had hundreds or thousands of backslashes.

I don’t know how the bad link was created in the first place, but it is easy enough to find and correct.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.