PDF export not highlighting text properly

Steps to reproduce

In a sandbox vault, change the text font to Lora. Export a file to PDF. When highlighting the pdf, the text does not align with the highlight.

Did you follow the troubleshooting guide? [Y/N]

Yes.

Environment

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.4.16
Installer version: v1.4.16
Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 23.1.0: Mon Oct 9 21:28:12 PDT 2023; root:xnu-10002.41.9~6/RELEASE_ARM64_T8103 23.1.0
Login status: logged in
Catalyst license: insider
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: dark
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
none

I don’t think there’s anything we can do about this. Maybe it’s not even the PDF’s problem but the reader used. Have you tried adobe acrobat?

Acrobat does work, but it is definitely weird that Preview (Mac default PDF reader) has this issue, even with Korean. Do you have any hunches on what the issue might be?

The reversed text when pasted issue was fixed, but these two topics (below) seem related.

I haven’t checked in a while, but I saw this odd text selection (selected highlight looks like an underline, selection goes from right to left in certain cases when selecting with the mouse) with some fonts using macOS’s Preview app.

You can use a PDF export snippet to force a font that works if it’s different from the font you use in the editor. Something like this, with the font name being exactly as it appears on your system:

@media print {
    .print {
        --font-text: 'Victor Mono';
  }
}

Thank you so much, the snippet is very useful!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.