PDF Export has illegible rendering for ticked checkboxes

Steps to reproduce

• Command Palette > Show debug info > Sandbox Vault
  • Add an unchecked and checked task, like so:
  • Command Palette > Export to PDF. Notice how in the exported PDF the checked task box is not rendering the check.
  • Switch to light mode
  • Export PDF again. The exported PDF also does not render the check

Expected result

• Ticked checkboxes should be legible in the exported PDF

Actual result

• Ticked checkboxes are not legible in the exported PDF

Environment

• Operating system: Windows 11
  • Debug info:
    SYSTEM INFO:
    Obsidian version: v1.1.8
    Installer version: v1.1.8
    Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 10.0.22621
    Login status: logged in
    Catalyst license: none
    Insider build toggle: off
    Live preview: on
    Legacy editor: off
    Base theme: light
    Community theme: none
    Snippets enabled: 0
    Restricted mode: off
    Plugins installed: 0
    Plugins enabled: 0

RECOMMENDATIONS:
none

Additional information

I can’t reproduce

PDFXEdit_Q0EN0YBJpP

Hmm, I just checked again, and Chromium Edge and Mac Preview can render those ticked checkboxes. Other viewers don’t, though:

1. MuPDF-based viewers, like Sumatra PDF, which I’m using, and to my understanding is a popular lightweight viewer, has the problem: It’s also present in the WASM MuPDF viewer, and in the console it has this warning:

1. I’m not sure what PDF library Affinity uses, but when I try to load up the file in Affinity Publisher, the problem is also present:

1. I tried again in OneNote, which also has the same problem

Looks like whatever function used to render that checkbox, it’s not universally supported?

1 Like

Interesting; when I try the PDF insert feature for OneNote on the Mac, the problem is not there. Looks like this problem is only present on Windows?

1 Like

this is a problem of your pdf reader then

Yeah, it’s a problem with SumatraPDF and MuPDF-based viewers, but I’m not seeing how it’s also present in Affinity Publisher and Microsoft OneNote. Maybe we can leave this open to track it until someone with OneNote and/or Publisher can see if they’re also having the problem :thinking:
Edit: oop didn’t notice it’s been moved to Bug Graveyard. Well for other users in the future comment if you’re also having the issue!