Paste the image to the same directory as note

Use case or problem

When pasting an image to the existing note from clipboard, it puts the image file to the vault’s main directory. It works, but it creates quite a mess in the file structure and it becomes hard to track the images which one went where and etc.

Proposed solution

Instead of vault’s main directory, create the image file in the same directory as the note file itself.

OPTIONAL
Maybe also name the image based on the note file it is pasted in?
if the note is foo.md then the image could be foo1.png or smth in this spirit

Current workaround (optional)

I manually replace the images and put them to subsequent folders

Related feature requests (optional)

7 Likes

Agree. or at least a setting to enable this configuration. timesamped / notefilename appended, folder etc

2 Likes

Maybe also name the image based on the note file it is pasted in?
if the note is foo.md then the image could be foo1.png or smth in this spirit

+1 for this idea, right now the image file becomes very hard to track outside obsidian app for example in file explorer.

1 Like

Agree with this suggestion; having the pasted images in the main directory just is cluttering things and if the image would be pasted to the same directly as the article would be the preferred solution.

Waiting for this feature still :slight_smile:

1 Like

I might be wrong, since I don’t make use of this feature, but I think it was already announced in a recent release

was it insider? Because I just pasted an image from clipboard and there was no change. I have the 0.10.11 version

I’m in version 0.10.11 as well (I think this works since a couple versions back, not sure though)

Here’s the option to activate this

Settings > Files & Links > Default location for new attachments > Select “Same as folder of current file”

Here’s a screenshot